CCW carrier shot by police after gun falls out of holster

Incidents of shooting in defense of self or others.
StrangeBird1911

CCW carrier shot by police after gun falls out of holster

Postby StrangeBird1911 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:01 am

An incident involving Portland State University police officers as described by the local public broadcasting station https://www.opb.org/news/article/portland-state-officers-administrative-leave/:
According to Smith, the man who was shot was “trying to be a good samaritan” and break up the fight that had ensued. University police appeared, Smith said, but did not appear to try to stop the fight.

Smith said the victim, who had a gun attached to his right side, tripped while trying to break up the fight.

“The gun slipped out of the holster when he had fallen, and I think he may have tried to retrieve it,” Smith said. “Then they said ‘gun.’”

That’s when police fired, she said.

“There was absolutely no hesitation at all,” she said. “[The officer] went straight for his gun.”

Smith said the victim’s back was turned to police when he was shot.

Hand and Steel

Re: CCW carrier shot by police after gun falls out of holster

Postby Hand and Steel » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:45 pm

That's extremely unfortunate. No way to take back a bullet fired by a panicky cop with no sense to evaluate a situation or solve a problem without shooting.
"It is demonstrable that power structures tend to attract people who want power for the sake of power and that a significant proportion of such people are imbalanced — in a word, insane.” – Frank Herbert

"Welcome to Costco. I love you."

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:28 pm

At the same time, this certainly makes the case for getting a decent holster with some proper retention.

samuelrp

Postby samuelrp » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:59 pm

I guess it was hard to tell the good guys from the bad guys. Sad
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:52 pm

Even if you could tell "who" was "who", whatever happened to a "freeze"? I assume that in the course of trying to retrieve his gun, the man was not pointing it at anyone. So was there an immediate need to fire? You'd better be damn sure you know what you're doing before you put a bullet in someone. There's no way to "Edit:undo" with deadly force.
"It is demonstrable that power structures tend to attract people who want power for the sake of power and that a significant proportion of such people are imbalanced — in a word, insane.” – Frank Herbert

"Welcome to Costco. I love you."

Tye

Postby Tye » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:49 pm

Usually I'd chalk it it up to cop sees struggle and misidentifies the bad guy like most law enforcement shootings gone bad. This is why the citizen has a much better hit rate of the actual bad guy -- one knows WHO is beating him to death! In this case, the cops just stood around??? Were they so enthralled with watching the fight that they couldn't realize the third party's intent? Maybe the "good samaritin" wasn't so good after all? Chicken shit cops perhaps. No legal duty to protect any individual but allowed by law to "protect" themselves.
Best regards,

Tye

Return to “Defensive Incidents”