Killers inspire killers

Proper response to hypothetical scenarios.
Nathan
Site Admin

Killers inspire killers

Postby Nathan » Mon May 21, 2018 6:37 am

Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

yankeejib

Re: Killers inspire killers

Postby yankeejib » Thu May 24, 2018 7:01 am

And of course, the proliferation of juvenile pharmaceuticals combined with an entire generation of children raised by single parents and very realistic and violent killing video games would impact this situation.
Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Fri May 25, 2018 12:10 am

I don't think video games are the culprit, but all the other stuff you mentioned probably are factors. As I've said in previous threads, we have to look at recent things, since mass shootings in schools are such a recent thing. This is despite the fact that guns are harder to get now then they have been at any time in American history.

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Fri May 25, 2018 11:12 pm

Ohio9 wrote:I don't think video games are the culprit, but all the other stuff you mentioned probably are factors.

Why not? I don't think anyone on this forum is suggesting we ban video games, but we have to remember two major things here. While a single game in itself is not likely to result in a violent personality, they are a part of an overall culture that glorifies violence. Second, we're not talking about normal people when we're talking about mass murderers. While a shooter game might not effect the average person much, it might be a serious factor in the development of a disturbed, bitter and isolated individual with little capacity to differentiate between reality and a violent power fantasy.

Just something to think about.
"It is demonstrable that power structures tend to attract people who want power for the sake of power and that a significant proportion of such people are imbalanced — in a word, insane.” – Frank Herbert

"Welcome to Costco. I love you."

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Sat May 26, 2018 12:54 am

Hand and Steel wrote:
Ohio9 wrote:I don't think video games are the culprit, but all the other stuff you mentioned probably are factors.

Why not? I don't think anyone on this forum is suggesting we ban video games, but we have to remember two major things here. While a single game in itself is not likely to result in a violent personality, they are a part of an overall culture that glorifies violence. Second, we're not talking about normal people when we're talking about mass murderers. While a shooter game might not effect the average person much, it might be a serious factor in the development of a disturbed, bitter and isolated individual with little capacity to differentiate between reality and a violent power fantasy.

Just something to think about.

You might also want to think about the fact that Japan can be considered the video game capitol of the world, yet it has some of the world's lowest rates of violent crime.

Yeah I suppose a video game could adversely affect a disturbed individual, but at the same time, you have to remember that pretty much anything else could as well. Charles Manson was inspired to lead murders due to Beetles songs. Yet I don't hear anyone saying the Beetles were the culprit in his crimes.

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/fe ... rs-w459433

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sat May 26, 2018 8:35 am

It's a combination of video games that glorify violence, and pharmaceuticals that alter their reality.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Sat May 26, 2018 2:22 pm

Nathan wrote:It's a combination of video games that glorify violence, and pharmaceuticals that alter their reality.

Out of curiosity, Nate have you ever played video games before? I'd love to hear some specific examples of the games you think are most corruptive.

samuelrp

Postby samuelrp » Sat May 26, 2018 2:24 pm

And a willingness to eat tide pods, lol. But I do think these kids are not in the real world. Edit.....and by the way......wearing a shirt that says "born to kill", wearing a black trench coat and knee boots as daily dress JUST MIGHT be a clue ..... Ya think?!
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Sat May 26, 2018 3:02 pm

No one here is saying that video games are THE reason. But a reason? Probably. Just like the movies and TV shows someone watches, the music they listen to, the books they read, the religion they practice, and the people they associate with, video games influence people. Many years ago I indulged in some of the older games. Back in the 90s, when a lot of the developers in the western world were still small independent studios, there was some really cool stuff coming out. Games like Myst and the original Tomb Raider series were cutting edge and exposed many of us to things we'd never seen before. Those games were one of the many things that developed my interest in mysteries, occultism, archaeology and the ancient world, lost civilizations, etc. If some pixelated old games in the 1990s could influence me in a positive way, what's a photo-realistic kill-everything-in-sight game that has been laboratory developed specifically to be addictive doing to the mind of an already disturbed and disenfranchised youth who hates everyone because he can't get laid or fit into society?

I'm really not in favor of blaming video games. Millions of people play them without adverse effect. But it's unrealistic to think that they're not a part of an overall culture that glorifies violence, and it's clear that the culture a person lives in can influence them. The serotonin re-uptake inhibitors these kids keep getting prescribed is certainly a far bigger factor in their psychopathology, as are other factors, but it's not at all foolish to point out how many of these kids spent much of their time playing kill-em-all power fantasy shooter games.
"It is demonstrable that power structures tend to attract people who want power for the sake of power and that a significant proportion of such people are imbalanced — in a word, insane.” – Frank Herbert

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Sat May 26, 2018 3:08 pm

samuelrp wrote:And a willingness to eat tide pods, lol. But I do think these kids are not in the real world.

Agreed.

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Sat May 26, 2018 3:44 pm

Hand and Steel wrote:I'm really not in favor of blaming video games. Millions of people play them without adverse effect. But it's unrealistic to think that they're not a part of an overall culture that glorifies violence, and it's clear that the culture a person lives in can influence them. The serotonin re-uptake inhibitors these kids keep getting prescribed is certainly a far bigger factor in their psychopathology, as are other factors, but it's not at all foolish to point out how many of these kids spent much of their time playing kill-em-all power fantasy shooter games.

I also question how many games actually "glorify violence", at least the criminal aspects of it. Most games have you playing a "good guy" doing justified violence like lawful self defense or a fight against an army of an evil empire. There's really only a small subsection of them where you routinely commit morally repugnant acts without facing any kind of in-game penalty for doing so (The "Grand Theft Auto" and "God of War" series' are probably the most prominent examples of this)

yankeejib

Postby yankeejib » Sat May 26, 2018 6:57 pm

2/3rds of my 650 students have never met their fathers. Mmmmm.....
Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Thu May 31, 2018 8:36 pm

honestly, we as a society dont teach children how to cope, process, and work through complex emotional responses to things such as bullying, rejection, failure, etc. Take "bullying" for example. countless laws have been enacted to stop it rather than provide kids with the tools to process and work through it. Sheltering kids is not the proper response, kids are assholes and laws wont make that stop. the adult working world is vastly different than the "safe space" that everyone is trying to make on k-12 education campuses.

nearly all of the HS shooters expressed being bullied and this was the fashion they chose to lash out and get their 15 minutes of fame. have you seen the videos recently released the parkland shooter made detailing is plans?
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way ... -defendant

I think most kids can differentiate between video game objectives and real life rules. In GTA games, your heat level rises proportionally with the crimes you commit. dump a mag into a police cruiser in the game and your going to have a bad day. video games are a scapegoat for much deeper issues.

it does not help that as a society we now predominately live in condition white with our faces buried in our electronic devices and use them as the primary care takers of todays' youth.

there is a lot of change that needs to happen within the context of the family and society.
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:11 pm

Video game allowing you to assume the role of a school shooter.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/vi ... 8a880f04bd
Nathan in Image

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:25 pm

Nathan wrote:Video game allowing you to assume the role of a school shooter.

It was a small indie game made by some nobody company no one ever heard of, and it was canceled in response to the backlash.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 76561.html

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:24 pm

Nathan wrote:Video game allowing you to assume the role of a school shooter.

it was made from a free ware and has been pulled from the market due to backlash as ohio said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-44302146
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

Return to “Defensive Scenarios”