CCW holder gets assaulted, gun stolen in public restroom

Proper response to hypothetical scenarios.
Ohio9

CCW holder gets assaulted, gun stolen in public restroom

Postby Ohio9 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:52 pm

http://www.mailtribune.com/article/2015 ... /150919579

This says the victim was carrying his gun in a small of the back holster. I have a feeling the gun was revealed without him even realizing it. Either that it was printing too severely.

This is a key reason why I'm not a fan of small of the back carry. if your shirt gets caught on something or the print is too revealing, you could end up being the only person within 30 yards of yourself who doesn't know your gun is exposed.

This is also why I always use stills when using a public restrooms. Much easier to maintain security while doing your business.

Hand and Steel

Re: CCW holder gets assaulted, gun stolen in public restroom

Postby Hand and Steel » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:12 pm

+1 on using stalls... ALWAYS use stalls instead of urinals. Going after someone using a urinal is a favorite trick of many thugs, so easy to just walk up from behind and slam the victim's head into the tile wall in front of them.

Another example of why situational awareness is key - having a gun doesn't make you any safer if you don't have the opportunity to use it. Also highlights one of the reasons why people serious about protecting themselves should develop some degree of hand to hand skill, as it may be needed to stop a gun grab, when they can't get a hold of the gun because of position / proximity, gun is empty, the level of force involving a firearm is not appropriate to the situation, or any number of other reasons.
"Our great war is a spiritual war, our great depression is our lives."

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:59 pm

Also this is an example of why carrying a backup gun is a good idea.

samuelrp

Postby samuelrp » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:28 pm

You know it would happen at wallmart!
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

ridurall

Postby ridurall » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:07 pm

There is just something about me that says using a crapper to take a leak in instead of a urinal is wrong but I guess I'm wrong here. Situational awareness says using the crapper in a stall is the safest bet. Here in Oklahoma they passed a law last year that if you have a concealed carry license you can open carry. However if you have a CCL why open carry unless you want to show off? I've never been a fan of open carry because it takes away your concealed carry advantage. I always figured going open carry was a good way to get thumped in the head and losing your gun.

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:47 pm

ridurall wrote:There is just something about me that says using a crapper to take a leak in instead of a urinal is wrong.

Oh sure, you wouldn't want the random strangers you see in a restroom for a few seconds to think less of you.

yankeejib

Postby yankeejib » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:25 pm

ridurall wrote:There is just something about me that says using a crapper to take a leak in instead of a urinal is wrong but I guess I'm wrong here. Situational awareness says using the crapper in a stall is the safest bet. Here in Oklahoma they passed a law last year that if you have a concealed carry license you can open carry. However if you have a CCL why open carry unless you want to show off? I've never been a fan of open carry because it takes away your concealed carry advantage. I always figured going open carry was a good way to get thumped in the head and losing your gun.

My smalltown NC Mayor caused ripples when he showed up at a city function OC. I love NC for numerous reasons but unlicensed OC is right up there. To the Mayor's credit, he also had his CCW "badge" on his belt next to his piece. While we have all considered CWP badges, sashes, cards, and whatnot to be ridiculous, I could actually see some merit for one to announce that their OC was legitimate, even though in NC any OC is legitimate. On the other hand, like Ron, I prefer to play my hand concealed.
Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

Doing what others find difficult is talent.
Doing what others find impossible is genius,
Why be difficult when, with a little more effort, you can be entirely impossible.

Stoble

Postby Stoble » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:27 pm

SOB carry can be at times easier for another to pull your gun than yourself. NOT for me. Plus, your back is turned to the guy that has better access to it.

Return to “Defensive Scenarios”