How to deal with 'Road Rage'

Proper response to hypothetical scenarios.
CharlieW

Re: How to deal with 'Road Rage'

Postby CharlieW » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:22 pm

Good advice on dealing with overly aggressive drivers, but my observation is that a more immediate threat is inattentive people on cellphones driving SUV's -- they are often completely unpredictable. Drive safe, and drive defensively :)
Pragmatism -- the relentless pursuit of seeing things as they really are.

ridurall

Postby ridurall » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:19 pm

I posted this on the previous forum but would like to mention it here. About a month ago I was going to pick my son and one of his friends up at school and I was driving my wife's Ford Taurus. As I pulled out on to the road in front of our house I thought the high beams were on and while trying to turn them off I accidently flashed the car coming at me that was stopped about 1/8th of a mile ahead of me. I was turning left so I signaled and stopped at the stop sign and the car coming towards me decided to turn to his right or in terms of directions it was east. Well this person must have been pissed at me accidently flashing my brights at them because they droved down the middle of the road at 15 to 20 miles an hour making it impossible for me to safely pass them. Since I alway carry my 10mm the last thing I want to do is get in a fight with someone. I might end up at the point where I might have to defend myself. 1 mile down the road is an intersection where I needed to go straight toward Scotty's school. In stead I flipped on my left turn signal and the guy holding me back trying to get me pissed decided he wanted to turn left also. Of course as soon as he turned left I took of straight leaving him in the dust. I used it as a training aid for my son and his friend. I used to fight at the drop of the "fat" word. POW I'd hit the SOB right between the running lights. By the time I turned 18 the guys I got in fights with were pretty good sized guys and I knew if I kept it up I'd either I'd end up killing someone or I'd get killed. The least good fight I got in was when I was 18 and the dude was the same size as I was. Almost 300 lbs and I put him in the hospital for a week. Time to calm down and so I did.

ridurall

Postby ridurall » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:48 pm

Your right Gunsmith, by the way thank you for changing your name back to Gunsmith. Good move.

samuelrp

Postby samuelrp » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:30 pm

it takes real calm to maneuver roadways today.
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

i12flytoday

Postby i12flytoday » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:32 pm

I choose to just move on to another road. No delay is worth the delay of having to shoot someone attacking me in my vehicle. If I'm not in proximity to that person any longer, it's hard for them to attack me in the first place.

Tye

Postby Tye » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:36 pm

Carry.

As some have mentioned previously, the consequences of having to use my piece far outweigh my desire to flip off a dirt-bag driver. Driving In excess of 50K miles per year, I see my share of them! I used to get worked up about it, but now I just chuckle and/or sigh. Life is too short to get worked up over some jerk-wad that doesn't know how to drive.

BTW -- I'm not that slow driver hogging up the left hand lane that really makes the RR driver's blood boil.
"Open a passing lane if you're on a multi-lane highway"
Best regards,

Tye

RagTop454

Postby RagTop454 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:10 pm

All the above is good advice! It's much better to "be the adult" and avoid a situation like that than to have to deal with the consequences of tackling it head on.

Glenn

i12flytoday

Postby i12flytoday » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:00 pm

Another thing that I have found to cause an undesired effect is a large, air powered, train horn under ones hood. After the people piss themselves, they become quite angry. My neighbors kid found that out the hard way when another high school kid slashed his tires after such an incident.

NatStateTac

Postby NatStateTac » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:03 am

One of my friends had to deal with a road rage incident while his wife was in the car. He and his wife were going to the movies and when they parked a guy whipped in behind them, came up to the drivers side window and started yelling at my friend. My friend exited the vehicle in an effort to move the danger away from his wife when the other "gentleman" decided to leave well enough alone....my friend is 6'2", 285, coaches wrestling and football and was open carrying. Big dude....with a gun....and a wife to protect. The other person did the right thing, got back in his car and drove off.

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:33 am

This is how I deal with road rage

nemesis76

Postby nemesis76 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:27 pm

I find that if you pee on your aggressor they back down....In all reality I found that in my current state of not having a carry piece the best defense is a crowbar but avoiding or disengagement when at all possible is the best way to stay safe. I have had my times when I was younger of being brash and jumping to meet the conflict head on but it's not worth going to jail to keep some pride

ridurall

Postby ridurall » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:21 am

Funny how we get wiser with age and the fact that we carry and don't want the situation to escalate into needing the gun. So we find a way to just drive on. Yet most of us are prepared if the need arises. I don't think anyone should have to take an ass whooping from any young punk.

Pickwick

Postby Pickwick » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:17 pm

That is funny. I sent the video to an LEO buddy of mine and he responded, "Russian must be a really hard language." LOL!

Gunsmith

Postby Gunsmith » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:12 pm

Road Rage is 'Risk versus Reward'

Eat your pride and walk away. If you get out and approach another car, then you may get shot. If the other fool approaches you, then he is asking for it. But realize that if you do shoot some clown, it's going to be expensive. Naturally if you have no choice, that's another story.

samuelrp

Postby samuelrp » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:16 pm

Always carry $500, to post bail. :lol:
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

Gunsmith

Postby Gunsmith » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:46 pm

samuelrp wrote:Always carry $500, to post bail. :lol:

And a supply of Vaseline and Trojans

Smurf

Postby Smurf » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:15 am

ridurall wrote: I don't think anyone should have to take an ass whooping from any young punk.

At my age, 72 next month, I'm too old for taking a ass whooping. My Dad taught me when I was a young pup not to start a fight, but if I got into one finish it even if I had to get an "equalizer".

riadat

Postby riadat » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:04 pm

You can't rely on the goodwill of some stranger not to get you down and curb stomp you.

Renigeid

Postby Renigeid » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:49 pm

Well guys, at my age, 80 this coming November, I just say "asshole" under my breath and move on. But......no beating on this old man. If one want to beat on me I am always ready to respond as necessary. That is walking, sitting or riding. Jim

Pickwick

Postby Pickwick » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:49 am

Ohio9 wrote:This is how I deal with road rage

Do you realize that I got kicked off "that other forum" for posting this a while back? They said I was encouraging brandishing. :D

Return to “Defensive Scenarios”