PFA and firearm rights.

Carry law and matters dealing with the 2nd. Amendment.
riadat

PFA and firearm rights.

Postby riadat » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:23 pm

I'm currently going through a divorce and separated. I would never talk with my ex except we have a child together.

To make a long story short she is extremely abusive to me verbally and constantly wants to start fights. Example-- both my parents died in one year. When my father died she said i didn't love my father and was a bad son. When my mother died she said I didn't love my mother and was a bad son. I'm a bad Christian, a bad husband, a bad father, etc.

We have a four year old autistic daughter she put our daughter on meds without my permission and then against my will. She then accused me of "abusing" our daughter because I didn't send her to school one day because she was too tired-- the meds prevented her from sleeping. Then she said I would never see my daughter again. A few days later she calls me up and demands to know when I will watch my daughter. Well she then says I don't love my daughter and I am a bad father. Yelling and screaming at me on the phone.

I hang up she calls me over and over again. Finally I made a police report because I was sick of the abuse on the phone.

I'm thinking of getting a pfa against her but knowing her, she will get one against me and sure as shit there is something in some law somewhere about concealed carry and I think even legally owning guns while under a pfa.

This is cheaper than therapy. Anyways, what the hell, over? Do I get the PFA? The obvious answer is to get an attorney but at this exact time I cannot afford one.

Anyone ever had a pfa against them and had someone confiscate their guns or revoke their permit?

Pickwick

Re: PFA and firearm rights.

Postby Pickwick » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:08 pm

What state are you in? My daughter is a lawyer/DA and may have an answer, depending on your state law.

riadat

Postby riadat » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:09 pm

Kansas.

samuelrp

Postby samuelrp » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:02 pm

Sorry to hear all that. Hang in there.
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

riadat

Postby riadat » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:09 pm

Yeah it was a bit of an over share but I was trying to describe the situation. Thx for the kind words.

LWP

Postby LWP » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:47 am

This could escalate, and the authorities usually favor the woman, unfortunately, so: Record your conversations, talk calmly. Remove all your weapons and ammo to the care of a good friend, unknown to your ex. Do not be armed when visiting daughter or ex. I hope all three of you get through this with a minimum of mental and financial stress. There is life after divorce.

Pickwick

Postby Pickwick » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:23 am

She says: You should go to Kansas legal aid and get help. Do you know that she is going to file a PFA against you? You could file first and it sounds like you may need to for your own protection. There is nothing specific about legal CCW in the order, but it would just be common sense not to carry when visiting. The fact that you have filed a police report is in your favor. Are other people aware of how crazy she is? Witnesses are good. She re-iterates that, as crazy as she sounds, you need a lawyer.

jmhyer

Postby jmhyer » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:19 am

If you are separated and divorce proceedings have begun or are eminent, then you need an attorney yesterday.

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:34 am

jmhyer wrote:If you are separated and divorce proceedings have begun or are eminent, then you need an attorney yesterday.

He said he couldn't afford one.

Pickwick

Postby Pickwick » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:34 am

My daughter says legal aid has attorneys that deal with this stuff all the time. He needs a lawyer or the screwing he got ain't gonna' be worth the screwing he gets.

riadat

Postby riadat » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:02 pm

I already leave my weapon at home when I go to the ex's. I figure she will accuse me of threatening her and I can't wait for that time when she does and I tell the cop I don't have my weapon and he can search me and my car for one. She knows I carry of course.

I'm just going to avoid her a bit and, yeah, get a lawyer. Will be a bit before I can do it but I'm going to get one. Legal aid sucks. I already talked to them once and they are not all that cheap and their service didn't look that impressive. Where as a good lawyer may cost more but way better.

I might use the one who helped me with my mom's estate.

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:46 pm

+1 on LWP's suggestion about removing weapons from your home, maybe leave one that you wouldn't miss as much if it was confiscated.

Truly sorry to hear about your predicament.

Best wishes and prayers are going in your direction.
"It is demonstrable that power structures tend to attract people who want power for the sake of power and that a significant proportion of such people are imbalanced — in a word, insane.” – Frank Herbert

"Welcome to Costco. I love you."

chemist

Postby chemist » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:06 pm

This fucking blows.

I'm not sure discussing on a public forum is a great idea. At least with any level of detail in the post.
"Don't tread on me" - Leave me and my property unmolested, and I won't have a sneaking desire to imagine you with a bullet displacing your brain tissue.

BePrepared

Postby BePrepared » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:31 pm

I'm a little late responding, but I'm sure you're figuring out riadat, that you're screwed. You get as much "justice" in this country as you can afford. And it sounds like you're not in a positron to afford very much.

The family court system in this county in an embarrassment and outrage. Watch the documentary "Divorce Corp." It exists not to help families and children, but to enrich the legal profession.

Being a man and a father, you're all but guaranteed to get completely ass reamed. And being a gun owner makes you particularly vulnerable to threats and extortion by the ex.

I wish I had better news for you, but you need to know the truth. There are millions of others suffering the same as you. So much for the myth of "male privilege."
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:06 pm

BePrepared wrote: So much for the myth of "male privilege."

You might find this video interesting

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:35 pm

Word.
"It is demonstrable that power structures tend to attract people who want power for the sake of power and that a significant proportion of such people are imbalanced — in a word, insane.” – Frank Herbert

"Welcome to Costco. I love you."

BePrepared

Postby BePrepared » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:22 pm

^^^ Good video, Ohio.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper

Return to “Carry / 2nd Amendment”