Prison for selling guns legally

Carry law and matters dealing with the 2nd. Amendment.
Hand and Steel

Re: Prison for selling guns legally

Postby Hand and Steel » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:07 pm

Ohio9 wrote:My question from before remains. Do you oppose licensing for jobs with great potential to harm others if done improperly, such as ER doctors and Airline pilots? Why or why not?

Yes, I am opposed to ALL forms of licensing. If something is done between two or more parties with full knowledge and consent, then it is voluntary interaction and therefore no one else's business. Period. If someone DIRECTLY does something harmful to someone else as a result of incompetent practice, then it is only reasonable to hold them accountable for their actions, but not prior to or until it happens.

Ohio9 wrote:It's not illegal to be in the business of selling firearms. You just have to get an FFL to do so.

Yes, it is illegal to be in the business of selling firearms. A FFL is a Federal Firearms License. A license is permission to do something which is ordinarily illegal. Selling firearms as a business requires grovelling and bribes to be paid to criminally insane bureaucrats. The practice is inexcusable.
"Our great war is a spiritual war, our great depression is our lives."

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:12 am

Hand and Steel wrote:Yes, I am opposed to ALL forms of licensing. If something is done between two or more parties with full knowledge and consent, then it is voluntary interaction and therefore no one else's business.

But the examples I gave don't really fall into that category, do they? If you suffer a life-threatening emergency and are rushed to the hospital for immediate treatment, are you going to have time to check the resume or qualifications of the doctor who operates on you? Not really. What about airline pilots? Do you check their work history before getting on a 737?

I agree there are plenty of things that require licenses currently that should not. Lawyers would be an example, since it would be easy to check a lawyer's qualifications before hiring one. For some other occupations though, the situation is a little more complex.

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:26 pm

Situations may be more complex, but in the end complexity does not justify a bureaucrat getting to be the "decider" of another person's occupation, not does it justify government extortion rackets. Theoretically if you are rushed to an emergency room, there are already numerous incentives for ER techs and trauma surgeons to be thoroughly trained and vetted - such as the organization employing them limiting their liability. The same goes for airline pilots, fire fighters, mechanics, contractors, etc.

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:37 pm

Hand and Steel wrote: Theoretically if you are rushed to an emergency room, there are already numerous incentives for ER techs and trauma surgeons to be thoroughly trained and vetted - such as the organization employing them limiting their liability. The same goes for airline pilots, fire fighters, mechanics, contractors, etc.

True, and yet there have been numerous airline accidents attributed to improper or insufficient training of aircrews, Of course there is accountability for that, but the biggest effect is usually the FAA mandates new or improved methods of training to ensure that said things don't happen again. Even if you don't believe in such things, I think you can at least see the logic behind it.

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:40 pm

The same airlines typically carry out their own investigations and training addendums independently. Adding government to the mix rarely makes things better.

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:57 am

Hand and Steel wrote:The same airlines typically carry out their own investigations and training addendums independently. Adding government to the mix rarely makes things better.

I've been watching a program called "Maday" about famous air accidents. This show has helped convinced me this is one of the few cases when it does make things better. FAA investigations of air accidents and subsequent mandates has led to positive change.

You should check out a few episodes of it sometime. It's got the same appeal as watching a detective mystery thriller.

Return to “Carry / 2nd Amendment”