Side steps and ice

Truck and trailer discussions.
Nathan
Site Admin

Side steps and ice

Postby Nathan » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:20 pm

I bought this set of Ranch Hand side steps for my '14 Dodge 2500. I like them just fine until ice starts to build up in the step while driving and my foot slips off causing me to bang my shin on the steel bar. Is there a solution other than removing the bars and selling them?
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

robalo23

Re: Side steps and ice

Postby robalo23 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:18 pm

Move to Florida:-) only ice we got is in tea and mixed drinks.

mattinglyt

Postby mattinglyt » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:26 pm

Nathan, we've used those steps a couple times at my work. Personally, I'm not impressed with their construction and lack of function.
Ted
Dysfunctional Veteran
US Army 63B20 H8

i12flytoday

Postby i12flytoday » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:57 pm

A garage? ;-)

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:04 pm

i12flytoday wrote:A garage? ;-)
The snow/ice builds up on the step while I'm driving (even with flaps) then when I get out I don't expect the step to be covered in ice.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

mattinglyt

Postby mattinglyt » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:14 pm

Nathan wrote:
The snow/ice builds up on the step while I'm driving (even with flaps) then when I get out I don't expect the step to be covered in ice.

maybe you shouldn't let your vaginal flaps hand down so low
Ted
Dysfunctional Veteran
US Army 63B20 H8

Rodeo Mike

Postby Rodeo Mike » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:49 pm

mattinglyt wrote:
Nathan wrote:

maybe you shouldn't let your vaginal flaps hand down so low

Oooh, low blow. :shock:
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED

robalo23

Postby robalo23 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:09 pm

Come on fellas, it is a Dodge afterall

mattinglyt

Postby mattinglyt » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:56 pm

robalo23 wrote:Come on fellas, it is a Dodge afterall

LOL, that's why it has vaginal flaps
Ted
Dysfunctional Veteran
US Army 63B20 H8

chris_t

Postby chris_t » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:19 pm

Nathan wrote:
Nathan wrote:
Is there a solution other than removing the bars and selling them?

Start expecting ice? :roll:

Pickwick

Postby Pickwick » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:48 pm

I'd just get rid of them. Nice truck. I am a Dodge man…drive a Ram 2500 Diesel. 360,000 miles and no problems.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:39 pm

Pickwick wrote:I'd just get rid of them. Nice truck. I am a Dodge man…drive a Ram 2500 Diesel. 360,000 miles and no problems.
I own a commercial refrigeration company and thus a small fleet of trucks. I either own or have owned every brand/engine/transmission option available from 3/4+ ton OEMs. I've owned several generations of the Duramax with automatic and manual transmissions, several generations of Powerstrokes with standard and automatic transmissions, and all generations of Cummins powered trucks with automatic and manual transmissions. I've also owned many gasoline powered versions of the same trucks. With tools and replacement part stock on my trucks, all trucks run down the road daily in excess of 9,000#. On large jobs we commonly tow an additional 12,000#-15,000# depending on the nature of the job. Since 2005 we have gone through a couple dozen trucks (hard not to when you can put 50,000+ miles on a truck in a year). Here is what I've concluded:

Chevy Diesel - No complaints about engine or transmission. The rest of the drivetrain falls apart. I've spent more rebuilding entire front ends than anything else. Good choice for POV, bad choice for commercial duty.
Chevy Gas - The 6.0 is a decent motor (that gets incredible fuel mileage!) but chokes when loaded heavy. They seem to "last forever" with very few engine repairs. The OEM transmissions are decent as well. The rest of the truck doesn't hold up too well.
5.3 - Not enough power to pull our loads.

Ford Diesel - 7.3 - Rock solid diesel.
6.0 - Should have been criminal. I went through more head gaskets than I could keep up with. My '05 was bought new and purchased back after three sets in less than a year. It was replaced with an '06 that lost its first set not even six months later. I had others that lost head gaskets. I will never own another 6.0.
6.4 - Almost as bad as the 6.0. Proved problematic and spent more time in the shop than on the road. Sold it at a huge loss and never looked back.
6.7 - Repeated issues with valves cracking and one broken head bolt.
Note* I will never own another Ford Powerstroke Diesel (except perhaps if I found a solid 7.3 somewhere used).

Ford Gas
5.4 - Rock solid but underpowered.
6.8 V10 - Decent power but not enough to justify the dismal fuel mileage. Loaded (without a trailer) the best I've ever gotten is 8 and that's driving very conservatively.

Dodge Diesel
12v Cummins - Absolutely rock solid.
24v Cummins - Rock solid engine. 47RE transmission is the worst transmission I've ever owned. I also suffered lift pump failures every six months (heavy use) until switching over to the in tank lift pumps.
24v Cummins common rail - Solid engines but new emissions standards decrease fuel mileage. No issues with engine or transmission repairs.
6.7 Cummins - Rock solid engine, good transmission. Mileage is horrible.

Dodge Gas
5.7 Hemi - Decent power but lacking when loaded heavy.
6.4 Hemi - Great power unloaded, acceptable power when loaded. The 6.4 Hemi is the only gas engine I find acceptable. It doesn't make diesel power, but at least it will maintain highway speeds through the mountains without having to turn 5,000 rpm. I do not like the way it turns off cylinders automatically and hope to find a bypass for this. Here in Montana we are always driving in mountains and I don't like the lag I feel waiting on the other cylinders to kick in every time we start to pull a grade.

When I tow heavy I always do so with a Cummins powered truck. Keep in mind that the Duramax and Powerstroke are both rated as light duty diesels whereas the Cummins is rated as a medium duty diesel. I can pull the same weights with a Duramax or a Powerstroke, but the Cummins torque curve peaks low and remains flat (the result of an inline six cylinder). It pulls the same load more predictably and burns less fuel doing it. Where as my new Cummins are getting horrible mileage (around 12 mpg), it doesn't really drop when I'm towing either. My V8 diesels get a little better without the trailer but once I hook up the trailer the mileage drops considerably below that of the Cummins.

Being a commercial fleet, we track every aspect of these trucks and maintain detailed maintenance logs. I have no brand loyalty of any kind; I'm loyal to performance and comparing the big three truck makers, the Cummins powered Dodges overall have served me much better. My new Cummins powered Dodges are rated to tow 30,000#. I would never tow that much with any small truck, but it's nice to know they build the trucks for them. There is less of a difference on flat land, but here in the big mountains the Cummins has proven superior, at least for me.

My personal current work truck is the above pictured 2014 2500 4x4 powered with the 6.4 Hemi. My personal play truck is a 2012 Cummins powered Dodge 3500 dually 4x4 with 4:10 gears. I also use this same dually to pull anytime we need to pull something heavy through the mountains.

This is the last Chevy I bought for an employee service truck. I drove down near Cheyenne WY to buy it and towed it back with my dually. I set the cruise control on 80 and even towing another truck it never once downshifted to maintain speed pulling mountain grades, and never lost more than a couple miles per hour and always caught up quickly after the cruise computer adjusted the throttle. Performance like this breeds consumer loyalty; I'd follow Cummins to any truck line. If Ford ever gets them, my next new truck will be a Ford. Same goes for Chevy or anybody else.

I actually prefer the F350 King Ranch over all others for creature comforts. I used to prefer the Chevy for ride quality but the new coil spring rear suspension on my 2014 2500 has really won me over. The ride quality rivals the Chevy and with a heavier duty front end.
Nathan in Image

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:47 pm

chris_t wrote:Start expecting ice?
Newbie with two posts already talking shit. 8)
Nathan in Image

chris_t

Postby chris_t » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:59 pm

Nathan wrote:
chris_t wrote:Start expecting ice?
Newbie with two posts already talking shit. 8)

what else did you expect?

and I want my post count back!

Pickwick

Postby Pickwick » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:22 am

Yeah, I bought the truck for the Cummins. Mine is an '03 24v. Transmission is rock solid, too. I pull a light tractor and a small back hoe occasionally. I am on the road a lot.
This has been the best truck I have ever owned and I hesitate to get a new one. I'm shooting for 500,000 miles. One thing for sure, before I buy a new one I am going to consult with you, Nathan. The other best trucks I have owned were a '78 Dodge RAM with slant six (180,000 miles) and an '82 Ford F150 with that old 300 cu. in. inline six. They should have never ditched that engine. I traded the F150 for the present 03 RAM when it began leaking from the rear main seal.

Dubhan

Postby Dubhan » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:22 pm

Might want to consider moving somewhere it isn't frozen over 6 months a year.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:06 pm

Dubhan wrote:Might want to consider moving somewhere it isn't frozen over 6 months a year.
I've seen big city problems before; no thanks!
Nathan in Image

Pickwick

Postby Pickwick » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:35 pm

Actually, North Georgia is an ideal location. Lots of wilderness, mountains, forests, no big cities above Atlanta, snow some of the year but lots of good days even in winter, none of the Obama constituency, very conservative population. Very self-reliant people. Great hunting and fishing. But, you do not have the big game and really wide open spaces of the West.

Rodeo Mike

Postby Rodeo Mike » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:05 pm

Hey if you decide to change out the steps send me s good pic my dad might want to buy them. He's been talking about getting some and he has a 2010 3500 ram
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED

Return to “Truck & Trailer”