Unloading shipping container?

Truck and trailer discussions.
Nathan
Site Admin

Unloading shipping container?

Postby Nathan » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:51 am

I need ideas on how to load and unload an 8,800# 40' long shipping container off a deck-over trailer. I'm considering multiple camper jacks but wanted to consider other options (except chaining it to a tree and driving out from under it).
Thanks!
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Pickwick

Re: Unloading shopping container?

Postby Pickwick » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:00 am

Rent a crane. But, I like the chaining it to a tree and driving out from under it. That's about a 6 beer solution…

Can you figure a way to winch it off?

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:14 pm

due to the weight, many of the initial options i thought of were out. it seems most rough terrain forlkifts top out at 10,000 lift capacity, so they could move the empty container for you but once you build it up, it will probably be over their lift capacity.

the other option you have as pickwick suggested would be to use a which system simular to what is used for moving a 40 yard roll away waste dumpster. this would be easy to use to load the container, but you would probably need a second for unloading.

outside of that, i dont know what you would be able to use.
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

LWP

Postby LWP » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:37 pm

They are designed to be hooked at the top corners, aren't they? Is this where the lifting lugs are? The structure may not withstand lifting in the middle of the bottom, and balance on the forks may be dicey. The only way I see is elaborate and costly. You need a traveling crane like in a steel mill to move big stuff. A big I-beam with a rolling winch and chains and spreaders. With this you can drop several containers in a row and choose which one to load on your trailer. If you only have one box, you could have a stationary winch on a high steel frame to drive under, lift the box, drive out, and drop the box.

Pickwick

Postby Pickwick » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:13 pm

We rented cranes to off-load modular home sections. Not cheap, but for what you need it shouldn't be too much.

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:57 pm

the corners and bottom are what is reinforced from my understanding of the containers.

there there is this..

IDPA & USPSA Member

Pickwick

Postby Pickwick » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:58 pm

hkguy wrote:the corners and bottom are what is reinforced from my understanding of the containers.

there there is this..

Man, that looks like the ticket...

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:11 pm

yeah that is what i was thinking, but i cannot find any rugged terrain forklifts capable of lifting more than 10,000 lbs. the shipping container weighs 8,800 leaving nate 1,200ish lbs of weight he can add to make it "habitable" and still be able to move it. that style of forklift is capable of lifting in excess of 45,000 lbs.
IDPA & USPSA Member

Nathan
Site Admin

Re: Unloading shipping container?

Postby Nathan » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:36 pm

I need a way to be able to do this regularly. We rent cranes monthly (to lift equipment onto roof tops) and they are $500 minimal to get them on the jobsite.

Does anybody like the idea of the truck camper jacks? I would need eight of them I'm guessing but it seems like a realistic solution although it would take an hour to work 8 jacks and keep it relatively similar.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:48 pm

do you think that they will realistically be able to support 10,000+ lbs?
IDPA & USPSA Member

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:32 pm

hkguy wrote:do you think that they will realistically be able to support 10,000+ lbs?
I think if I used eight of them they would be, but I could install as many as necessary. I'd love to come up with something simpler though.
Nathan in Image

Pickwick

Postby Pickwick » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:24 am

Nathan wrote:I need a way to be able to do this regularly. We rent cranes monthly (to lift equipment onto roof tops) and they are $500 minimal to get them on the jobsite.

Does anybody like the idea of the truck camper jacks? I would need eight of them I'm guessing but it seems like a realistic solution although it would take an hour to work 8 jacks and keep it relatively similar.

Regularly? I thought if it was a camper/home you would just leave it on the trailer. This is starting to look like a hassle. Maybe you could find one of those old vehicles they use in the army to pluck tanks out of the mud, etc. Seriously, there is bound to be one in gov't. surplus somewhere.

Tango 1

Postby Tango 1 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:09 pm

Mount steel rollers like those on a roll off dumpster maybe? Image
Or something like this Image
When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade. When life gives you zombies, you work out your anger issues.

yankeejib

Postby yankeejib » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:45 pm

You can get a used 12 ton marine travel lift for under $10K. Or why not just build a static one? I beams, cables, and motors.

Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

Doing what others find difficult is talent.
Doing what others find impossible is genius,
Why be difficult when, with a little more effort, you can be entirely impossible.

Tango 1

Postby Tango 1 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:53 pm

My suggestion looks way cheaper, and easier to to. :) Plus, with Nathans fabrication skills, he probably can build these himself.
When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade. When life gives you zombies, you work out your anger issues.

LWP

Postby LWP » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:52 am

I like that "Units" box with wheels. If you can find one big enough, it should be lighter than a cargo container. With the right wheels you might winch it up your trailer ramp. You will install a winch forward on the trailer, won't you?

gregh

Postby gregh » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:58 pm

How about starting with four, or even six of these high lift all purpose jacks. They are $80 each and are rated for 7000lbs.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_19643_19643?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Automotive-_-Jacks-_-1442&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=1442&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=1442&gclid=CLnM-pynqcQCFQEcaQodzbgAcw

Fabricate some kind of bracket on each corner to bolt the jack plate to, jack it up and drive out from under it - considering that it's 40' long though it would be nice to have 4 people so you don't have to walk three miles to jack it up.

Tango 1

Postby Tango 1 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:22 am

So, what say you Nathan, any ideas yet?

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:11 am

Thanks much for all the input and ideas. I'm currently researching electric camper jacks that raise and lower simultaneously. I need a controller that will work more than four.
Nathan in Image

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:16 am

Nathan in Image

mattinglyt

Postby mattinglyt » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:38 am

Nathan, we regularly move shipping containers like this from job sites and put them on lowboy trailers using a local tow trucks heavy duty rotator. There are other options like the Jacks you have pictured above or a beam setup with Jacks from the bottom. We set one up using air jacks and plumbed them all together with a simple manifold and valve system so they would all lift equally.

Let me know if you need any help planning something
Ted
Dysfunctional Veteran
US Army 63B20 H8

i12flytoday

Postby i12flytoday » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:24 pm

I wish I had seen this earlier. You will do fine with the jacks, with a few considerations.

I understand that the purpose of this is to rig the container for camping and easily remove it from your trailer to use the trailer for other trips, correct?

I have accomplished this exact task, unloading a container from a flatbed, using 4 bottle jacks. Give me a couple days and I will email you a detailed drawing of what we rigged up. But basically, we welded boxes with a passthrough made from 1/4 steel to the front and rear of the container. We then slid in square steel tubes that had 1" long pieces of pipe welded to the bottom of them (for the bottle jack to fit into to prevent slipping) into the boxes and lifted the container a couple of inches. Then the driver drove out from under it. Loads back up easily as well. Once built, the container is on/off within 20 min with two people, but could be done by yourself with more time.

We did it on paved ground, but I'm certain it would work on any decent ground with propper blocking. We lowered it down onto 4x4 blocks slightly lower than the trailer once it was offloaded. If you are looking to offload it at a campsite, it would be easy enough to build 4 bases, one for each corner. If you support the corners, the container will hold much more than you will put in it as a camper. You could easily load your ATVs into it as well.

Let me know if you want more info and I will send you detailed drawings for a 40 foot container.

I'm certain you can find a reputable welder. ;)

Edit to add: it really isnt important that they lift all at the same time. As long as they are within a few inches you will be fine.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:56 am

mattinglyt wrote: We set one up using air jacks and plumbed them all together with a simple manifold and valve system so they would all lift equally.
This has my interest. Please continue.
Nathan in Image

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:57 am

i12flytoday wrote:Let me know if you want more info and I will send you detailed drawings for a 40 foot container.

More info, pretty please!
Nathan in Image

mattinglyt

Postby mattinglyt » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:11 pm

Nathan, we have done a couple of setups but the one I like the most was set up to stay with the box and plumbed with hard pipe to a centrally located position with a valve system that allowed for a single control to operate all 4 jacks and a flow control to adjust air to each jack and tune them to all the same speed.

The jacks we used had a 4 ft stroke, you could find them in quite a few companies. Sorry I don't have any pictures and won't be able to get any for awhile if I'm lucky, these boxes are all on jobs around the country. Give me a call if you have any questions
Ted
Dysfunctional Veteran
US Army 63B20 H8

Return to “Truck & Trailer”