Page 1 of 1

New truck

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:02 pm
by yankeejib
So I'm going to go trade in my 2014 "keep it forever" F150 and get a new "keep it forever" truck. F150? Why not another F150?

Re: New truck

Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:29 pm
by samuelrp
I'm envious. Nothing like a new truck smell.

Re: New truck

Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:05 pm
by yankeejib
samuelrp wrote:I'm envious. Nothing like a new truck smell.


I was thinking about looking at barely used 250's too. I don't tow more than about 7000 pounds, but why not make it an easy tow?

Re: New truck

Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:43 pm
by Nathan
I definitely recommend upgrading to at least a 3/4 ton, if not 1 ton. If you use it to potential, it will last as long as a half ton truck. If you use it like you use a half ton truck and are typically running around at 10% of its capacity, it will last "forever" with proper maintenance. I personally only buy 1 ton trucks because I use their capacity, but they don't ride quite as nice as the half ton trucks do. If I could get away with a half ton truck, the only one I would consider currently is the Toyota Tundra. I like the looks, I'm happy with the power, and the customer reviews are the best available. Here are my reasons that I don't like the others:
Ford - Aluminum bed. Nope. I also find the gas engines somewhat lacking in power.
Chevy - IFS; I've owned several 2500 Chevy's and cannot keep a front end under them. The rest of the truck is solid, but the front ends don't last.
Dodge - Unforgivable failures in the gas engines. I drive Dodge trucks exclusively, but I'm buying the Cummins and not a gas engine. The Hemi's are notorious for premature camshaft wear. I bought a 2011 Ram 2500 with the 5.7 Hemi last year to haul my dogs around. At just over 100,000 miles the camshaft wore out and the dealer wanted $4,500 to repair. I also find the mileage to be poor.
So if I were buying a gas half ton, I would get the Toyota Tundra. I bought my wife a 2018 4Runner TRD Premium this past year and have to say that it's the finest vehicle I've ever bought in my life. The fit and finish are the best I've ever found. While I don't enjoy compacts much, when I took a trip recently I took her 4Runner instead of my truck.

Re: New truck

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:11 pm
by yankeejib
Nathan wrote:I definitely recommend upgrading to at least a 3/4 ton, if not 1 ton. If you use it to potential, it will last as long as a half ton truck. If you use it like you use a half ton truck and are typically running around at 10% of its capacity, it will last "forever" with proper maintenance. I personally only buy 1 ton trucks because I use their capacity, but they don't ride quite as nice as the half ton trucks do. If I could get away with a half ton truck, the only one I would consider currently is the Toyota Tundra. I like the looks, I'm happy with the power, and the customer reviews are the best available. Here are my reasons that I don't like the others:
Ford - Aluminum bed. Nope. I also find the gas engines somewhat lacking in power.
Chevy - IFS; I've owned several 2500 Chevy's and cannot keep a front end under them. The rest of the truck is solid, but the front ends don't last.
Dodge - Unforgivable failures in the gas engines. I drive Dodge trucks exclusively, but I'm buying the Cummins and not a gas engine. The Hemi's are notorious for premature camshaft wear. I bought a 2011 Ram 2500 with the 5.7 Hemi last year to haul my dogs around. At just over 100,000 miles the camshaft wore out and the dealer wanted $4,500 to repair. I also find the mileage to be poor.
So if I were buying a gas half ton, I would get the Toyota Tundra. I bought my wife a 2018 4Runner TRD Premium this past year and have to say that it's the finest vehicle I've ever bought in my life. The fit and finish are the best I've ever found. While I don't enjoy compacts much, when I took a trip recently I took her 4Runner instead of my truck.


Thank you!

Re: New truck

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:34 pm
by Nathan
I'm always happy to share my experiences and the opinions they form. I'm a truck guy; I currently own six (me or my company) and rotate/buy/replace trucks every year. While I'm primarily a diesel truck owner, I do like to keep at least one gasoline truck around for when winter gets really brutal. Some of my job sites are remote and I don't have access to plug a diesel in. The only gasser I currently own is a V10 Dodge, but they don't make that anymore (which is probably good as the mileage is absolutely dismal). But I've owned all the commonly available options over the years. My favorite gasoline engine is the 6.4 Hemi in the Ram 2500, but I haven't kept one around long enough to determine long term performance. My last one was a 2018 Ram 2500 but I only kept it four months or so. The first time I loaded it down with a heavy welder and other gear I immediately sold it and went back to a diesel.

Re: New truck

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:50 pm
by MisterB
Nathan wrote:I definitely recommend upgrading to at least a 3/4 ton, if not 1 ton. If you use it to potential, it will last as long as a half ton truck. If you use it like you use a half ton truck and are typically running around at 10% of its capacity, it will last "forever" with proper maintenance. I personally only buy 1 ton trucks because I use their capacity, but they don't ride quite as nice as the half ton trucks do. If I could get away with a half ton truck, the only one I would consider currently is the Toyota Tundra. I like the looks, I'm happy with the power, and the customer reviews are the best available. Here are my reasons that I don't like the others:
Ford - Aluminum bed. Nope. I also find the gas engines somewhat lacking in power.
Chevy - IFS; I've owned several 2500 Chevy's and cannot keep a front end under them. The rest of the truck is solid, but the front ends don't last.
Dodge - Unforgivable failures in the gas engines. I drive Dodge trucks exclusively, but I'm buying the Cummins and not a gas engine. The Hemi's are notorious for premature camshaft wear. I bought a 2011 Ram 2500 with the 5.7 Hemi last year to haul my dogs around. At just over 100,000 miles the camshaft wore out and the dealer wanted $4,500 to repair. I also find the mileage to be poor.
So if I were buying a gas half ton, I would get the Toyota Tundra. I bought my wife a 2018 4Runner TRD Premium this past year and have to say that it's the finest vehicle I've ever bought in my life. The fit and finish are the best I've ever found. While I don't enjoy compacts much, when I took a trip recently I took her 4Runner instead of my truck.


You're spot on. I have a Tundra, and love it. Very reliable. Comfortable. Nice looking. Plenty of power, unless you get in to very heavy towing and need the extra weight of a 1 ton for a more stable feel for large RV and heavy equipment hauling. Toyota doesn't change the body style much, so if you get an '07 or newer, they all look relatively the same. Ever heard of the guy that drove his Tundra a million miles, and Toyota traded him for a free brand new one? They kept the truck to evaluate how things like the seats were holding up to see how they could improve. That's the kind of company Toyota is.

Bottom line, if you want a half ton there is no better truck than a Tundra.

Re: New truck

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:55 pm
by LWP
yankeejib wrote:I was thinking about looking at barely used 250's too. I don't tow more than about 7000 pounds, but why not make it an easy tow?
I don't believe much I see in print, especially the tow ratings of pickup trucks. Maybe the rating is good at sea level on a straight and level road, but dangerous for curvy, steep, hills and mountains. I consider 1/2 ton trucks adequate to haul a new sofa from the store, or carry your family with some camping gear in the back. My best friend lost control in the mountains and crashed his 4000 lb travel trailer behind his F150. You need the weight, stability, brakes, tires (E-rated) of a 3/4 ton or 1 ton to handle a big load. 7000 lbs is a big load. I like my Ram 2500 with Cummins, but with my last Lance camper and boat behind, I wished for a 1 ton dually, and the total load was less than 7000 lbs.

Re: New truck

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:25 pm
by yankeejib
LWP wrote:
yankeejib wrote:I was thinking about looking at barely used 250's too. I don't tow more than about 7000 pounds, but why not make it an easy tow?
I don't believe much I see in print, especially the tow ratings of pickup trucks. Maybe the rating is good at sea level on a straight and level road, but dangerous for curvy, steep, hills and mountains. I consider 1/2 ton trucks adequate to haul a new sofa from the store, or carry your family with some camping gear in the back. My best friend lost control in the mountains and crashed his 4000 lb travel trailer behind his F150. You need the weight, stability, brakes, tires (E-rated) of a 3/4 ton or 1 ton to handle a big load. 7000 lbs is a big load. I like my Ram 2500 with Cummins, but with my last Lance camper and boat behind, I wished for a 1 ton dually, and the total load was less than 7000 lbs.


Thank you. I'm using this info (very casually) on my wife.

Re: New truck

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:38 pm
by Nathan
LWP wrote: I like my Ram 2500 with Cummins, but with my last Lance camper and boat behind, I wished for a 1 ton dually, and the total load was less than 7000 lbs.

401415920062274.jpg
401415920062274.jpg (52.61 KiB) Viewed 1642 times

Is the issue with being single rear wheel, or is it your gear ratio? I have a 2015 Ram dually with 4.10 gears and 865 # of torque (ordered with the Aisin transmission to get the upgraded power). I also have a 2016 Ram 3500 single rear wheel with the 3.54 gears and 900# of torque (also ordered with the Aisin transmission for the upgraded power). Both tow incredibly well, but the dually with the 4.10 gears is an absolute towing beast. Ram/Dodge has always loved to put a taller gear behind the Cummins to keep the RPM down to keep the engine in it's torque peak, but with the 4.10 gears my truck accelerates pulling 23,000# almost the same as it does empty. I have no issue towing the same load with my single rear wheel, but I can tell the load is back there. Then you have the issue of tire limitations. I run into the issue regularly with rig welders asking if they should run single rear wheels or dually. A typical E rated tire is rated for around 3,400# each giving you a total of 6,800# rear axle weight capacity. You start out with a 7,500# truck with roughly a 60/40 weight distribution which places 3,000# on the rear tires. Subtract the 3,000# rear truck weight from the total rear axle weight capacity and you have 3,800# remaining. A decent welding bed with boxes will be 2,000# leaving you 1,800# capacity remaining. A Lincoln SA200 welder comes in around 1,600# wet. You now have 200# capacity remaining and you don't even have torches, tools or consumables loaded and when you do that you are running at 100%+ all the time every day. So when you see a single rear wheel welding rig upside down in a ditch (I've known of so many over the years) it's because the excessive weight blew a rear tire at 80 mph. Now with a dually, you have 13,600# of rear tire capacity leaving you far more room to operate safely within your limitations.

Re: New truck

Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:39 pm
by LWP
Nathan wrote:
LWP wrote: I like my Ram 2500 with Cummins, but with my last Lance camper and boat behind, I wished for a 1 ton dually, and the total load was less than 7000 lbs.

Is the issue with being single rear wheel, or is it your gear ratio? ... So when you see a single rear wheel welding rig upside down in a ditch (I've known of so many over the years) it's because the excessive weight blew a rear tire at 80 mph. Now with a dually, you have 13,600# of rear tire capacity leaving you far more room to operate safely within your limitations.
Yes, no, and yes. Even though my Ram 2500 is 20 years old, I had no problem with power, torque, gear ratio (automatic), or highway speed. It's just that a Lance camper is a tall beast. The gross weight rating was maxed out, and the center of gravity was high. Not ideal for single rear tires.

Re: New truck

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:59 am
by Nathan
Image

Image

Image

Image

New aluminum body F150 meets Camaro.

Re: New truck

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:48 pm
by 11bravo
I laughed way to hard at a Camaro destroying an F150.

Re: New truck

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:53 pm
by yankeejib