Truck mods

Truck and trailer discussions.
Nathan
Site Admin

Truck mods

Postby Nathan » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:07 pm

This is my starting point. Cummins powered Dodge 3500 4x4 dually.

This is what I hope to turn it into, basically. I don't intend to use quite this much lift (I need it to remain functional) or the spike lug nuts (I prefer women, thanks). The devil is once again in the details.

The Ranch Hand bumper and winch drops the front end a full 2" below stock height. A leveling kit is designed to lift the front up from stock height to match the rear height, but with the 2" deficit from the winch and bumper this would only take it back to stock height and not level the truck. I want the rear to ride a little higher so that the truck rides level when the gooseneck trailer is connected, but I can control the rear height with air bags. I need a way to calculate the actual lift I need to accomplish what a level kit would do without the heavy bumper and winch.

I've determined that the bed is a Herrin MFG Ultra Legacy Hauler available for $9,100 but this requires a trip to Kilgore TX to pick it up or get it shipped. I'm still beat from taking two trips to El Paso and I'm not looking forward to another road trip but the truck shipping on this bed would be insane.

Constructive ideas and recommendations appreciated.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

i12flytoday

Re: Truck mods

Postby i12flytoday » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:08 pm

Have you thought about adding airbag helpers to the rear for the heavy trailer?

ridurall

Postby ridurall » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:22 pm

So this is why the trip to Kilgore. Well I am on the way and I'll get you hooked on shooting the 50 BMG. Everyone needs a 50 in this day and age. Especially with the politics of this nation. So come on down Nathan, we've got room for you stay and I'm sure you could use a break in that long drive.

Ron

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:55 am

i12flytoday wrote:Have you thought about adding airbag helpers to the rear for the heavy trailer?

Yes. Airbags will be the only modification I make to the rear suspension. Once I get the front right I can adjust the rear around it.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:55 am

ridurall wrote:come on down Nathan, we've got room for you stay and I'm sure you could use a break in that long drive. Ron
Deal! 8)
Nathan in Image

yankeejib

Postby yankeejib » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:44 pm

ridurall wrote:So this is why the trip to Kilgore. Well I am on the way and I'll get you hooked on shooting the 50 BMG. Everyone needs a 50 in this day and age. Especially with the politics of this nation. So come on down Nathan, we've got room for you stay and I'm sure you could use a break in that long drive.

Ron

That's worth going out of the way for, Ron!
The .50BMG vs the dreaded armor-piercing cop killing 5.56 pistol shooting round. Hummmmm.......

Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

Doing what others find difficult is talent.
Doing what others find impossible is genius,
Why be difficult when, with a little more effort, you can be entirely impossible.

ridurall

Postby ridurall » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:46 pm

Hey that looks like my front yard and shooting bench! To bad we didn't have the time to really take it out and shoot some long range with it Professor.

ridurall

Postby ridurall » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:48 pm

The funny part is that most of the ammo I shoot for fun in my 50 is real armor piercing stuff. Only costs me .35 cents a bullet verses about $2 a bullet for the super accurate stuff.

Rodeo Mike

Postby Rodeo Mike » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:59 pm

Truck looks great! I'm a sucker for flat beds and work bodies. You might not have to add the air bags. Dad just traded his 2010 3500 ram for a 2012 3500 ram. Both trucks equipped identical, and 4x4. But the 2012 sits higher. We had to reset all the trailers and hitches. He claims it's stronger than the 2010 was, but still no better fuel economy.
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:31 pm

Rodeo Mike wrote:Truck looks great! I'm a sucker for flat beds and work bodies.
I never much cared for a flatbed until I saw this one.

You might not have to add the air bags. Dad just traded his 2010 3500 ram for a 2012 3500 ram. Both trucks equipped identical, and 4x4. But the 2012 sits higher. We had to reset all the trailers and hitches.
I'll add them anyway just to have them in case I ever need them. After loading the trailer isn't the time to say "I wish I had air bags". :D
The back doesn't squat too bad now though. Even with the trailer connected my overload springs aren't even touching their base pads.

He claims it's stronger than the 2010 was, but still no better fuel economy.

Indeed it is. The 2012 produces over 800 ft. lbs. of torque. The 2010 was around 650. The 2015 Cummins produces 865 ft. lbs. It's an exciting time in the light truck market!

...that said, I'm considering possibly trading up to a 5500. My 3500 has no issues at all pulling my 40' gooseneck, but I do wonder if a 5500 wouldn't be better suited for the job.
Nathan in Image

Return to “Truck & Trailer”