Nathan
Site Admin

Truck came in

Postby Nathan » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:42 pm

st.jpg
st.jpg (194.51 KiB) Viewed 951 times

2.jpg
2.jpg (139.67 KiB) Viewed 951 times

The 2015 Ram I ordered arrived just 40 days after ordering it. In as much as it hurts not to drive it, I'm getting it prepped for storage to wait on me to retire. It's replacing my similar 2012 that got destroyed by hail.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

lazyh

Re: Truck came in

Postby lazyh » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:52 pm

Beautiful!

Rodeo Mike

Postby Rodeo Mike » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:56 pm

Wait, your putting it into storage? Nice truck! How bad is the fuel milage? Dad has a 2012 3500 and my brother just flew to Texas to pick up a 2011 3500. Both of the get 13-14 bobbed tail and 9-10 loaded.
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:09 pm

Rodeo Mike wrote:Wait, your putting it into storage?
Yes; I'm going into semi-retirement over the next two years and full retirement in the next four (retiring at 50). I may or may not piddle around with something after that point but it will depend on how bored I get. At this point I'm tired. Anyway, I don't want to retire and then turn around and have to buy a new truck because I've worn all mine out from working them to death. I figured it was better to buy it now while my income is considerably higher than it will be after I retire. This one is bought and paid for and going into storage. My 2012 was destined to be my retirement truck but the hail storm last year destroyed it sitting in my driveway. That's why this one is going under some type of cover. I'll likely utilize it when I need to pull heavy and perhaps on date nights, but otherwise she'll sit parked.

Nice truck! How bad is the fuel milage?
Thanks, and too early to tell. I've a whopping 29 miles on it. :D

Dad has a 2012 3500 and my brother just flew to Texas to pick up a 2011 3500. Both of the get 13-14 bobbed tail and 9-10 loaded.
Any idea what their gear ratios are (likely 3.73)?

I've owned a 98, 98.5 (difference was the 24 valve changeover), 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010, 2012 and now a 2015 and none of them have gotten decent mileage since the '02. After they went with the common rail and emission standards got higher the mileage started to suck. The Cummins is the only medium duty diesel available in the light truck market (Duramax and Powerstroke are both rated as light duty diesels); the Achilles' Heel was always the transmission. Even today they continue to put a medium duty engine in front of a light duty transmission. The 68RE is a good transmission but it's still the weak link. This is why I upgraded to the medium duty Aisin transmission. On my 2012 with the 4.10 gears (and 68RE transmission) I would run 1950 RPM @ 70 mph. This newest truck with the Aisin and 4.10 gears runs 70 mph @ 2050 rpm so it appears as if the Aisin is geared lower as well. I could average around 13 mpg on my 2012 (but I rarely ever allowed it to go beyond 2000 rpm) so I expect to get a little less on this newest one.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Rodeo Mike

Postby Rodeo Mike » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:52 pm

I'll have to check on their gear ratios. Are you worried about seals dryin out? Sitting is the worst thing for a car in my experience. or do you think it being brand new will hold until you start running it.
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED

yankeejib

Postby yankeejib » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:50 am

Rodeo Mike wrote:I'll have to check on their gear ratios. Are you worried about seals dryin out? Sitting is the worst thing for a car in my experience. or do you think it being brand new will hold until you start running it.

Just make it your Sunday driver. Tool around town, take the family out to lunch, do some smokin' burnouts, relax a little.
Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

Doing what others find difficult is talent.
Doing what others find impossible is genius,
Why be difficult when, with a little more effort, you can be entirely impossible.

Pickwick

Postby Pickwick » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:29 am

Date nights? Damn, just what is it that is so heavy you are pulling? :D :lol: :mrgreen:

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:06 pm

I may have miscommunicated my intent. It won't sit parked all the time, but it will sit parked most of the time. I'll drive it when I need to pull something heavy or if/when I'm going to something "important" where I have to clean up (no holes in my jeans, no critters living in my beard) and look like "somebody" (meetings, date nights, etc.). I seriously doubt it sees 1,000 miles a year unless I end up taking a road trip to haul something heavy. I prefer my '14 2500 for long trips because it has 3.73 gears and can coast @ 80mph all day long and barely break 2000 rpm. If I end up taking the family and all the ATVs down to Moab or similar, then I'll need the dually for hauling the gooseneck trailer.

In the end, retirement may be coming earlier than expected so who knows...
Nathan in Image

LWP

Postby LWP » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:31 pm

Nathan wrote:In the end, retirement may be coming earlier than expected so who knows...

Your opportunity to retire before 50 is wonderful. Hard work and smart management to build a profitable company pays off. I suspect you have a buyout offer or you expect one within two years. Conditions are right for both buyer and seller right now. Good luck and godspeed.

Return to “Truck & Trailer”