1873 Uberti

Nathan
Site Admin

1873 Uberti

Postby Nathan » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:41 pm

I've been trying to find a Winchester 1873 in collectable condition for quite awhile now, but I'm not a fan of the .44-40 cartridge. Uberti is offering an authentic replica that I'm interested in, chambered in .44 Magnum. I'm wondering how true to heritage (other than caliber) this gun really is? I cannot determine if it has one of those awful rebounding hammers (deal breaker) or not.
Thanks,
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Nathan
Site Admin

Re: 1873 Uberti

Postby Nathan » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:39 pm

...what the Hell...It's worth a shot.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/585205485
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:08 pm

Asked a friend who used to shoot single action cowboy matches and uses a Uberti .357 as a carry gun. He believes the Uberti lever guns use the original style hammer, not the rebounding type. His opinion was favorable.
"Our great war is a spiritual war, our great depression is our lives."

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:56 pm

Thanks much for the information. I did buy the Uberti from the Gunbroker link and expect it sometime next week. I'm looking forward to that one more than I should. I wanted to get one in .45LC but even that isn't true to heritage so if I'm going to vary from heritage I might as well go with a superior caliber.
Nathan in Image

deadguy

Postby deadguy » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:06 pm

I picked up its brother just yesterday at PSA. 1866 in 45LC.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:04 pm

deadguy wrote:1866 in 45LC.

The rifle is abso-freakin-lutely gorgeous! Image

When I ordered my 1873 rifle I did not know that I would order a Colt 1873 a few days later. Had I known then that I would, I would have ordered the 1873 in .45LC as well. I'll likely pick up an 1886 in .45LC soon to have a matching caliber.
Nathan in Image

deadguy

Postby deadguy » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:50 pm

This will be my first rodeo with 45LC. My intentions were to get a 44 mag, but this one spoke to me yesterday. No way I was leaving without it.

Johnde

Postby Johnde » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:53 pm

I want one! Nice buy.
NRA Life Member.
4-H youth firearm instructor.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:20 pm

deadguy wrote:this one spoke to me yesterday. No way I was leaving without it.

I can completely relate! Sometimes it just calls out to you and there's just no option.
Nathan in Image

deadguy

Postby deadguy » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:35 am

Nathan wrote:
deadguy wrote:this one spoke to me yesterday. No way I was leaving without it.

I can completely relate! Sometimes it just calls out to you and there's just no option.

Exactly. If I had not left when I did, an EMP4 would have gone home with me as well. That gun just feels great in my hand.

Back to you, Nathan. Have you gotten your 1873 yet?

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:03 pm

deadguy wrote:If I had not left when I did, an EMP4 would have gone home with me as well. That gun just feels great in my hand.

I have the original EMP. After sending it back to Springfield to have the front strap checkered, I consider it the most ergonomically perfect feeling gun ever. It is a true extension of my hand.

Have you gotten your 1873 yet?

I have, and it's outstanding. I've never before owned a Uberti (although I do own a Stoeger Coach Gun; Stoeger is owned by Uberti) and have a new appreciation for the excellent craftsmanship. Originally I wanted a legitimate Winchester, but like many purists I reject the lawyer implemented manual safeties that weren't on the original guns and especially the rebounding hammer that was added in the newer guns. I struggled trying to decide between buying an authentic Winchester or buying a model built from the original Winchester design (only in a modern caliber). I've no regrets about ultimately choosing the Uberti. The action is smooooth and the gun is simply gorgeous. I was thrown originally, thinking that it was broken because the dust cover remains rearward when closing the bolt, but a little research was all it took to realize that is by design.

THIS WINCHESTER is calling my name like no other, but I cannot forgive the cross bolt safety (or the rebounding hammer). It's with a sad heart that I allow this auction to conclude without claiming it for my own. If I can find an older version (prior to implementation of any safety other than half-cock) of this gun in similar condition I will own it at any reasonable price. I am now driven to find such a gun....almost obsessed.
Nathan in Image

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:21 pm

This is a great history lesson on the 1866! This will also very likely be my next lever gun.
Nathan in Image

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:37 pm

1886 <-- Once in a lifetime auction. It won't surprise me to see this one exceed $10,000.
Nathan in Image

deadguy

Postby deadguy » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:44 pm

Nathan wrote:
deadguy wrote:If I had not left when I did, an EMP4 would have gone home with me as well. That gun just feels great in my hand.

I have the original EMP. After sending it back to Springfield to have the front strap checkered, I consider it the most ergonomically perfect feeling gun ever. It is a true extension of my hand.

Have you gotten your 1873 yet?

I have, and it's outstanding. I've never before owned a Uberti (although I do own a Stoeger Coach Gun; Stoeger is owned by Uberti) and have a new appreciation for the excellent craftsmanship. Originally I wanted a legitimate Winchester, but like many purists I reject the lawyer implemented manual safeties that weren't on the original guns and especially the rebounding hammer that was added in the newer guns. I struggled trying to decide between buying an authentic Winchester or buying a model built from the original Winchester design (only in a modern caliber). I've no regrets about ultimately choosing the Uberti. The action is smooooth and the gun is simply gorgeous. I was thrown originally, thinking that it was broken because the dust cover remains rearward when closing the bolt, but a little research was all it took to realize that is by design.

THIS WINCHESTER is calling my name like no other, but I cannot forgive the cross bolt safety (or the rebounding hammer). It's with a sad heart that I allow this auction to conclude without claiming it for my own. If I can find an older version (prior to implementation of any safety other than half-cock) of this gun in similar condition I will own it at any reasonable price. I am now driven to find such a gun....almost obsessed.

I struggled with my decision on what to buy when I got the ultimate lever gun itch. I went from Henry vs. Winchester, side load vs. tube load, 20-22" bbl vs. 16-16.6" bbl, large loop vs. regular, octagonal bbl vs. round, brass receiver vs. steel....... I was a mess for about a month or so. I was searching GB for a Winchester 94 AE Trapper 44 mag, pre-safety models, and found quite a few. Just never found one at the price point I was willing to pay. They are still in my saved searches, and if I know me, it may still happen.

Happy to hear that about the EMP. I love the balance of the 4.

Regarding the Uberti smoothness....no comparison. I don't have much experience handling lever guns, and much less shooting them, but I know smooth when I feel it.

Return to “Single Action Shooting”