'94 in .44

Nathan
Site Admin

'94 in .44

Postby Nathan » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:48 pm

As old as I am, but in a whole lot better condition. I never imagined spending this much on a Winchester, but considering the condition I was prepared to go up to $1,001.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

MisterB

Re: '94 in .44

Postby MisterB » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:39 pm

Awesome. That's a hell of a lot better than a new Henry, and about the same price. You also don't have to deal with that stupid tube loading system. Did they make a pre 64 '94 in 44?

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:23 am

MisterB wrote:Awesome. That's a hell of a lot better than a new Henry, and about the same price. You also don't have to deal with that stupid tube loading system.

While I greatly prefer the Winchester over the Henry (because of the loading gate on the Winchester instead of the removable tube magazine on the Henry which makes tactical reloading while under fire so much easier and is also why Winchester was #1 and Henry was #2), I have so much respect for Henry heritage and the place they have secured in the history of settling the West. Winchester would take from Henry and Henry would take from Winchester which ultimately only made both even better than they were before. Other than what I've done by knocking it around in the brush, my Henry Silverboy is absolutely flawless in appearance and function and I've spent many days alone with it in the woods just enjoying every minute. I still very much want a Henry in .44 Magnum and I expect that my wives will get me one for my 48th birthday (they asked me what I want and that's what I told them).

Did they make a pre 64 '94 in 44?

I'm not certain. I don't remember if you shot my other '94 in .44 Magnum or not? I remember shooting your Henry but just cannot remember if I brought my Winchester along or not. It's also as old as I am but I was born in '69. I love pre and post '64s. The only Winchesters I don't care too much for are the rebounding hammer models and those with safeties which is why I buy the older ones. I have however seen a tutorial on how to remove the rebounding hammers and replace them with standard, authentic original hammers so this opens up the entire market of modern production as well once I am confident in doing the conversion. I once thought I might be alone in rejecting the rebounding hammers but it turns out that a large number of cowboy action shooters and those who are passionate about single action shooting feel the exact same way and have taken it a step farther in doing these conversions and teaching others how.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

MisterB

Postby MisterB » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:04 am

Nathan wrote:
MisterB wrote:Awesome. That's a hell of a lot better than a new Henry, and about the same price. You also don't have to deal with that stupid tube loading system.

While I greatly prefer the Winchester over the Henry (because of the loading gate on the Winchester instead of the removable tube magazine on the Henry which makes tactical reloading while under fire so much easier and is also why Winchester was #1 and Henry was #2), I have so much respect for Henry heritage and the place they have secured in the history of settling the West. Winchester would take from Henry and Henry would take from Winchester which ultimately only made both even better than they were before. Other than what I've done by knocking it around in the brush, my Henry Silverboy is absolutely flawless in appearance and function and I've spent many days alone with it in the woods just enjoying every minute. I still very much want a Henry in .44 Magnum and I expect that my wives will get me one for my 48th birthday (they asked me what I want and that's what I told them).

Did they make a pre 64 '94 in 44?

I'm not certain. I don't remember if you shot my other '94 in .44 Magnum or not? I remember shooting your Henry but just cannot remember if I brought my Winchester along or not. It's also as old as I am but I was born in '69. I love pre and post '64s. The only Winchesters I don't care too much for are the rebounding hammer models and those with safeties which is why I buy the older ones. I have however seen a tutorial on how to remove the rebounding hammers and replace them with standard, authentic original hammers so this opens up the entire market of modern production as well once I am confident in doing the conversion. I once thought I might be alone in rejecting the rebounding hammers but it turns out that a large number of cowboy action shooters and those who are passionate about single action shooting feel the exact same way and have taken it a step farther in doing these conversions and teaching others how.

I think the Henry Silver Boy 22 is the best 22 you can buy... even better than the Ruger 10/22. More fun to shoot, too.

You did bring along a Winchester lever, although I can't remember which model and caliber. It probably was a model 94 44 Mag, because I do remember fighting over picking up brass like a couple of bums, since we were also shooting my 44 mag Henry. :lol: Your Winchester is a sweet shooter, although I do remember getting brass to the face? Maybe that's just part of the design.

You'll enjoy the 44 mag Henry Big Boy. I DO wish it didn't have the tube loading design, and I sort of cringe when I'm watching late night TV and stumble on a Henry infomercial. It makes me question my purchase. That said, it is a well made American rifle with a lot of cool history, and it is an absolute blast to shoot. If I had to pick between the new Henry and a pre 64 Winchester (in particular, an older one from the 30's or 40's with some honest wear here and there), I'd pick the Winchester.... but like you say, we don't necessarily need to pick if we can have both.

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:26 pm

Nathan wrote:I once thought I might be alone in rejecting the rebounding hammers but it turns out that a large number of cowboy action shooters and those who are passionate about single action shooting feel the exact same way and have taken it a step farther in doing these conversions and teaching others how.

Is there a technical problem with the rebounding hammers related to function or lock time? Or is it simply a matter of historical accuracy?
"If everybody in the world today had a flower instead of a gun, there would be no wars!" - The Producers
"Women should always wear tight clothing and men should carry powerful handguns." - Calvin & Hobbes

deadguy

Postby deadguy » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:28 pm

Nice! The 94 Trapper was on my short list before I found the Uberti.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:26 pm

Hand and Steel wrote:Is there a technical problem with the rebounding hammers related to function or lock time? Or is it simply a matter of historical accuracy?

While there are technical and mechanical differences that you can feel in the trigger, light primer strikes and more (CLICK HERE, CLICK HERE, CLICK HERE), although I'm a trigger snob my primary objection is historical accuracy. If I want to shoot modern I grab an AR15. Shooting a lever-gun ain't about making lawyers happy.
Nathan in Image

Return to “Single Action Shooting”