New kid

Introduce yourself, and tell us about you.
SgtDon

New kid

Postby SgtDon » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:52 pm

Well maybe not a kid I've got 2 Grandsons in college. My use of firearms goes back to the 50's. I used to plink with a 22 at my grandfathers place in the mountains outside of Denver. In the 60's I used various weapons while in the Marine Corps, especially in Vietnam. I was a hunter for a lot of years, everything from doves to elk. I still live in the Denver area.

I'm now planning to take a new avenue. I work some strange hours and pass through some pretty sketchy areas. I decided it was time to start carrying concealed. I took the required concealed carry class last night and will be submitting my permit application to the Sheriff on Monday.

After a lot of Internet research and talking to others I plan on buying a S&W Shield 9mm. I chose this for its concealability having a single stack magazine. I chose 9mm over 40 because of the size and weight of the pistol. I'm also looking at an inside the pants holster along with a vehicle mount.

Does this make any sense or should I be thinking a different direction.

SgtDon
Sgt Don

Tango 1

Re: New kid

Postby Tango 1 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:45 pm

Welcome to the forum.
When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade. When life gives you zombies, you work out your anger issues.

Ryan21

Postby Ryan21 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:22 pm

Welcome to the forum. I think most here would recommend heading to a local range and renting a few options before you buy. Somethings sound perfect but once you hold or shoot them they aren't quite the right fit.

SgtDon

Postby SgtDon » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:48 pm

Thanks Ryan21. Sounds like a much better plan than mine

SgtDon
Sgt Don

samuelrp

Postby samuelrp » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:56 am

You can't go wrong with Glock, Springfield, or The Smiths. They make quality and more importantly, stand behind their products. The Shield shoots great, is easy to clean (although take down is a little different), and two sizes of mags is a plus.
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

SgtDon

Postby SgtDon » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:47 am

Samuelrp
Do you have experience with the Shield 40? I've held (fondled) many guns at Cabellas and the Shield really feels good in my hand. My right (shooting) hand was busted up pretty bad when my M-16 blew up in the my my hand in Vietnam, so comfort and fit is critical.

I can't find a range in the Denver area that rents a Shield, so I need advice.

Sgt Don
Sgt Don

CharlieW

Postby CharlieW » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:18 pm

The Shield is an excellent choice -- I have one and I am very happy with it; it is compact, reliable and easy to shoot. It is also a very good value for the money. The gun is pretty light but very controllable with practice. I have also owned a .40 cal, but I found that the recoil was fairy unpleasant, and I didn't keep that one. With current 9mm defense ammo (like 147 grain HSTs or Golden Sabres) I do feel under-gunned. :grin:

Nathan has a good review in the "Weapon Reviews" thread that I would recommend you look at. I can also recommend a Crossbreed "SuperTuck" holster from my personal experience.
Pragmatism -- the relentless pursuit of seeing things as they really are.

knic

Postby knic » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:10 pm

Hello and congrats for joining the thousands of others who are arming themselves, even if altercations are unlikey. When the thugs run across
enough people prepared for danger they will possibly rethink their line of work.

There is nothing wrong or lacking in a 9mm loaded with high quality JHP bullets. Do a search for the policeman named Jason Reston(I think) who
was shot 6-7 times at close range with a .45. The first shot hit him in the jaw. After he was able to get his gun out he put 7 out of 14 shots into
the bad dude with a .40 as the bad guy was walking up on him. That was the 2nd of 4 gun fights this cop has been in. He had some interesting
things to say in regards to caliber choices in pistols.

samuelrp

Postby samuelrp » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:43 pm

I have not shot the .40, but I own the 9mm, and its a dream, espically for concealment. I prefer my Glock for capacity when possible.

Tye

Postby Tye » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:51 pm

Welcome to the ranks of the responsible citizenry!

I started out completely IWB, but have gravitated to primarily OWB for comfort -- which doesn't lack conceal-ability with an untucked shirt or over-sweater, really. Otherwise, I'll go front pocket carry (in a pocket holster!) or occasionally belly band under tucked shirt most of the times in the cross-draw under armpit location, which makes it accessible when buckled up in a car. In the office, a phone, etc. in the front shirt pocket helps to make it quite invisible. The belly band (Galco Underwraps) can warm you up if its too tight and when I use it its always over a wife beater undershirt.

As with most of us, you'll likely end up with a drawer full of failed and/or little used holster experiments!
Best regards,

Tye

Tye

Holster Section?

Postby Tye » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:04 pm

IDK -- maybe I should have replied in the Holster Section instead of here.

One other thing about the Under Wraps -- don't bother using the accessory pocket for coins, keys, magazines, anything. It'll find its way out of there one way or another! Never had a problem with gun(s) falling out of the built in holsters, however -- even the very heavy ones!
Best regards,

Tye

SgtDon

Postby SgtDon » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:36 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up buying the Shield 9mm. As soon as I receive my permit I'm starting with an IWB holster. I'm sure this will just be the beginning of my quest for the perfect holster. I already have a drawer set aside for holsters ;)

SgtDon
Sgt Don

samuelrp

Postby samuelrp » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:28 pm

I'm still breaking this one in, but actually like the Galco Stow and Go which I had bought to use till this one arrived from Wright Leather.[img]
image.jpg
[/img]
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (230.74 KiB) Viewed 1776 times

jmhyer

Postby jmhyer » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:29 pm

Welcome! Excellent choice of weaponry. I will second the Crossbreed Supertuck for IWB carry. Nearly identical and a bit less expensive (and probably more readily available) would be the Galco KingTuk. I use one every day and everywhere.

lazyh

Postby lazyh » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:41 am

Welcome to the forum! I bought an M&P Shield in 9mm yesterday but will have to wait for it to warm up a bit before I can take it to the range.

Return to “New Member Introductions”