Need a good ankle holster for a Ruger LCRx

Holster options and comparisons.
Ohio9

Need a good ankle holster for a Ruger LCRx

Postby Ohio9 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:56 pm

The downside of buying a recently made gun is that holster companies often have not caught up with it yet. I need an ankle holster for my Ruger LCRx, but I can't find any company that makes one for this gun type.

hkguy

Re: Need a good ankle holster for a Ruger LCRx

Postby hkguy » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:46 pm

anything made for a S&W Jframe or ruger LCR should work. Galco and Desanties come to mind.
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:01 am

That is not the case. I have an ankle holster for my S&W 36, and it does not fit my LCRx at all.

As for LCR holsters, you have to remember that the LCRx has an exposed hammer, while the LCR does not. That means the strap, which is supposed to go over the spot where the hammer is, might not be long enough to cover the extra space required by the precense of a hammer.

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:19 pm

it should not matter if its the lcrx or lcr. a generic ankle holster for 2in revolvers should work too.

even when looking at this video, there the retention starp rests, it should not matter if its an LCR or LCRx

same here
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

samuelrp

Postby samuelrp » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:44 pm

Looks like A LOT of practice would be in order for that set up.
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:22 pm

The galco ankle glove is my favorite ankle holster, but sadly they don't make a left handed one for the LCR, and my left handed S&W36 ankle glove doesn't fit the LCRx.

Thankfully the galco ankle lite (bottom photo) is available in left handed form for the LCR, so I guess I'll just have to make due with that.

1813Anschutz

Postby 1813Anschutz » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:43 am

I fail to understand the allure of the ankle holster..no matter how well it is made.
Randy
"The more I shoot the luckier I seem to Get"

NRA Certified Instructor-Rifle, Pistol, Personal Protection Inside the Home, NRA CRO. competitor in SASS, IDPA, USPSA, NRA Smallbore rifle 3/4 p. NRA High Power Rifle Service Rifle, NRA Air Rifle

straightshooter629

Postby straightshooter629 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:59 pm

1813Anschutz wrote:I fail to understand the allure of the ankle holster..no matter how well it is made.
Randy

Sometimes an ankle holster is the only option, and it beats not carrying at all.

Try the Uncle Mikes ankle rig. I carry my Rossi 462 in a #2 Uncle Mike's rig all day and it is very comfortable.

1813Anschutz

Postby 1813Anschutz » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:20 am

No such thing as a no other option (ankle holster)...I have been carrying since 1984 and have never used an ankle holster ...even with a tux or suit an tie...too many much better solutions. Tell me when ankle carry is the only option.

Randy

NRA Certified Instructor-Rifle, Pistol, Personal Protection Inside the Home, NRA CRO. competitor in SASS, IDPA, USPSA, NRA Smallbore rifle 3/4 p. NRA High Power Rifle Service Rifle, NRA Air Rifle

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:00 am

Ankle carry is a great method for a backup gun. Keeps it out of the way and doesn't put any extra weight on your waist to go along with your primary piece.

Also, I think ankle carry is fine for your primary gun when you are at home. I keep my door locked at all times. In the event of a home invasion, I figure it's going to take the guy at least a few seconds to break through a locked door or climb through a smashed window. That should easily be enough time to draw from an ankle holster.

neilbedwell

Postby neilbedwell » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:47 pm

I tried an ankle holster ONCE. That's all it took for me. Back then I was a lot skinnier and much more flexible than I am now and even with that I wasn't able to draw the thing worth a crap. Plus, the weight of the gun just made me walk funny. All the training in the world wasn't going to make me proficient with that draw style and I will hazard a guess that that is true for most people. If it works for you, that's awesome. Just make sure you practice with it regularly and use a good holster that won't let the gun flop around.

1813Anschutz

Postby 1813Anschutz » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:57 pm

well stated! Not to mention when you ARE drawing the firearm you are taking your eyes off the assailant at the worst possible time.
Again, if it works well for you great, It doesn't for me for many reasons.

1911junkie

Postby 1911junkie » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:19 am

I have an LCRX, could't even imaging strapping that thing to my ankle!
Not really feeling in the whole ankle holster thing!
I do not trust any person that has a dislike for dogs - I have complete trust in a dog having a dislike for any person.

Return to “Holster Tech”