Old Timer w/ respect to Compound Bows

Bows and crossbows.
Tye

Old Timer w/ respect to Compound Bows

Postby Tye » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:20 pm

OK - I guess that I am officially an "old timer" when it comes to archery (long bow and recurve shooters need not read further). For my compound bow, (I'm a loyal Darton guy but that is a whole 'nuther story!) I'm still a finger shooter with my cheek as the rear anchor point and a simple rest with cushion plunger and 2 pins -- one set for 0-18 yards, the other sighted at 33 yards. Heavens sake -- I sight between the pins for a 25 yard shot! Yes, I'm high tech in that I use a range finder, but only to sight static items in my hunting zone so I know ranges BEFORE the game comes in, believing that one's movement should be minimized, lest the WHITETAIL DEER detect your presence. I do not use a peep.

Anyway, I'm not bragging by any means. it has been several years since I've been confident out to 45 yards with this setup, and surely am not critical (though maybe envious) of other's set-ups; just setting the stage. . .

I'm down to only 4 arrows that shoot the same, so I wonder up to Cabelas in Michigan nearby where I picked up my last batch of Easton Aluminum XX78 2213 arrows cut to my length (27") with non-helical straight angled 4" feathers FROM STOCK! I'm shocked when I don't see the THOUSANDS of selections from just a handful of year's ago. Instead there is ONLY 1 dozen of aluminum arrows, PERIOD!
Cabelas guy says, "Everybody has gone to carbon arrows these days. We used to have hundreds of varieties of Easton back in the day, so I know what you are talking about. . . You still can order such stuff on line. . ."

WTF -- did whitetail deer, etc. figure out a way to cheat death from the Al arrow! Not on my property!

The good news:
The small archery shop / target range further away accommodated my needs in spades! I brought in just shy of a dozen Al arrows with torn feathers and/or rotted plastic vanes and after spin checking for straightness, they converted them into something special!

Long gone is my "guy" that dipped said arrows in white paint before fletching, but this shop (Adam's archery near Milan, MI) adhered a chartreuse colored decal upon which they fletched my breast-awareness colorful feathers along with my dull grey cock feather. At my 18 yard pin, I need to shoot at different aiming points in fear of the "Robin Hood".
Best regards,

Tye

Tye

Re: Old Timer w/ respect to Compound Bows

Postby Tye » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:26 pm

Just because this board has been so lame, a reply rather than edit:

I'm thinking VENISON IN THE FREEZER is in my immediate future this year, my friends!

There, if my math is correct, I've just tripled the threads in the archery section. THIS IS A CHALLENGE to y'all, damned it!
Best regards,

Tye

Tye

Postby Tye » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:27 pm

OK, I see how much my math is incorrect! I need your help, folks!
Best regards,

Tye

Smurf

Postby Smurf » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:21 pm

I shot a recurve when I hunted with a bow so I had to quit reading. I used to get my arrowscut to 28in and custome fletched with broadheads and field points of the same weight, all glued in a fiberglass shaft. I still have some. But I've got too old to pull the 52lb bow back and hold it now. It is a pretty Redwing Hunter, but I've not seen a recurve in years.

samuelrp

Postby samuelrp » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:53 am

I'm afraid my shoulder surgery two years ago has put the hurt on my archery . its hard yo find a shop around here anymore.
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

ridurall

Postby ridurall » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:17 am

I have a custom Chadwick longbow that I picked up about 22 years ago that is 59 lbs at 29". I also have a Martin Hatfield bow that I purchased from a friend with 70 lb limbs. A few years later after being worn out with those limbs my bow shop and Martin distributor sent it back to have a set of new limbs built for it that are 55 lbs. I used to be able to hit a tennis ball at 20 yards most of the time. However after getting spinal fusion in 2007 I found that I couldn't practice with either of them like I needed to, to keep up that kind of accuracy. The long bow was the most fun to hunt with because it was like carrying a feather it's so light. I still have both bows in hoping my son, son in law or daughter will want to pick traditional archery. I used to shoot pretty much just wooden arrows with both traditional bows but do use carbon on my Excalibur crossbow. I feel guilty using the crossbow but I don't need the practice shooting it at reasonable ranges. When I picked up the crossbow you had to have a letter from your doctor to hunt with it but anyone can use a crossbow here in Oklahoma. The owner of our local bow shop was a wizard with refletching arrows but he finally retired this summer at age 75. He still does custom work out of his house for old customers. The last two critters I took with the longbow and recurve were a javelina and a turkey. The javelina at 18 yards with the recurve and the turkey with the longbow at 13 yards with a "Texas heart shot".

Tye

Postby Tye » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:11 am

Before chiropractors set me straight, I archery hunted for 2 years straight with a crossbow. Although easier to shoot targets, I found it more difficult to HUNT with! I dont have eloborate box blinds with shooting shelves, so the crossbow really weighed on me while standing in a tree. Never got a deer with it. Went back to the Darton last year, and BONANZA! One in the box. Well that one and a gun season buck are now eaten up...need to replenish!
Best regards,

Tye

Tye

Postby Tye » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:41 am

Well, hungry enough to shoot a half rack young buck that just smelled of medium rare garlic enfused tenderloin, for the last couple of years, my property is part of our DNR's quality dear management zone in the NW part of the lower penninsula of MI so such deer with less than 3 scorable points on one side are verboten. I'm not necessarily against the QDM, but man, where were all the does!?

Anyway, Saturday was filled with stiff Easterly winds mixed with rain in the PM the aeffect of the hurricane out east no doubt. I liked my morning tree stand location as the wind blew from the neighbor's hay field into my cover/staging area. It was entertaining discovering that about 20 Turkeys were roosting above me. I was somewhat fearful of the red squirrel with an attitude, and was tempted to let an arrow fly to the Pat that landed nearby, my hat being able to convert to orange, but no; I'm deer hunting darned it!

Windy as it was, I went on a still hunt for the afternoon evening. I had to stay just outside the margins of my cut-over as no way Id be able topull back yet alone have an arrow fly more than a couple feet without slapping a sapling! The rub line in sight was
impressive, including gouging of 7" diameter black cherry trees.

Yeah, a bad weekend of hunting is a better one than most!
Best regards,

Tye

MisterB

Postby MisterB » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:31 pm

Tye wrote:
Yeah, a bad weekend of hunting is a better one than most!

Not sure I share that viewpoint. I've found bow hunting for deer to be extremely boring, not to mention fussy. To make matters worse, you can do everything right, and be fortunate enough to shoot a deer with an arrow (even with a 70 lb bow, with good mechanical arrow tips), but then spend the next several hours looking for the damn deer and never find it. That's bull shit, and unfortunately very common.

Tye

Postby Tye » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:55 pm

The horrible experience shared can be drastically minimized with Mindset and knowing one's limitations. I must admit to having such an experience but hardly common. Sure every effort should be made to make an ethical kill, but many choose primitive weapons or handguns -- or even a lever action with iron sights versus a sniper rifle with scope. The fact of the matter (again every effort. . .) mother nature's hand at deer population control is often less humane than that of a gut shot deer dying of septic poisoning in the swamp. Don't knock yourself out if you did EVERYTHING in your control to practice the art of hunting. Shit could still happen with the sniper rifle!

I by far had more frustration in second guessing as to whether I could have gotten away with standing up, positioning for the shot without getting busted; or maybe perhaps I should have stayed still and NOT moved so fast getting busted by the deer, or shucks -- I knew the buck was locked down on a doe; why didn't I sneak over there with the wind in my favor instead of waiting over here for no opportunity.

Considering the "frustration" experienced during the season, the satisfaction of pulling a package of steaks out of freezer is THAT much more rewarding! If you disagree, no problem -- go ahead and watch the game while eating Tostitos and CheezeWhiz! Nice and warm in your La-Z-Boy.

YMMV
Best regards,

Tye

Tye

Postby Tye » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:55 pm

duplicate deleted.
Best regards,

Tye

MisterB

Postby MisterB » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:11 pm

I like to hunt, but I'm not so sure deer hunting with a bow is enjoyable for me personally. And, yes- I also like a good football game with chips, but you can keep the cheez whiz lol

ridurall

Postby ridurall » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:28 pm

I do love what bowhunting taught me since I started using one back 20 years ago in 1995. Before then I had only hunted with rifle and muzzleloader. With especially traditional archery without sights or super let off compound bow I found I had to wait until whatever I was hunting was 20 yards or less for my ability. In doing that I found that I became a much better hunter and learned more patience and also found that I saw many more animals than I ever saw hunting with a gun. While hunting back in the 60s, 70s and 1980s I took shots as far away as 300 yards but now I find even with a rifle that I tend to wait until the deer is so close that there is no way to miss. Also having deer so close I started hearing their grunts, farts and snorts. I've only lost one deer with my bow and like MisterB said it was what I figured as a perfect shot but after trailing it for close to a mile the blood trail petered out. I didn't like it by coyotes and buzzards need to eat also. Another thing I figured out was that the new fancy mechanical broadheads do not function as well as a nice sharp single blade old style broadhead.

Return to “Archery”