Looking for a Scope for an AK

Optics, sights, and all sighting specific issues.
Hand and Steel

Looking for a Scope for an AK

Postby Hand and Steel » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:17 pm

Currently in the market for a scope to put on an AK47 style rifle. I'm going to be mounting it over a standard rail.

I'm looking for something simple and durable with somewhere between 3-5x magnification. Inexpensive is good (it's a pretty standard AK, so its practical accuracy is not going to be extreme), with $200 being the upper cost limit.

Any suggestions are appreciated, especially if they have personal experience behind them.

Best
"It is demonstrable that power structures tend to attract people who want power for the sake of power and that a significant proportion of such people are imbalanced — in a word, insane.” – Frank Herbert

"Welcome to Costco. I love you."

Nathan
Site Admin

Re: Looking for a Scope for an AK

Postby Nathan » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:46 pm

A magnified scope on an AK? Why, so you can clearly see what you missed? :D

Trying to get any notable accuracy out of an AK is like when you try to wipe and fist-bump a floater. In the end you're just frustrated and smell like shit. ;)

For an AR I wouldn't hesitate to spend $1,500+ on an optic (my personal battle-rifle wears an ACOG), but on an AK I couldn't imagine doing much more than a throw-away grade red dot.

Now don't get the wrong idea; I'm not hatin' on AKs. I own at least a half dozen and I appreciate their strengths while accepting their limitations. I do believe the 7.62x39 to be the ideal combat caliber, bar none. If they ever figure out how to feed them reliable in the AR platform I'll switch over in a heartbeat. If I knew my combat zone was limited to <100 yards I'd likely grab my AK over my AR...but because I do keep my expectations real I just can't imagine investing much into a scope for an AK.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:44 pm

I really like the vortex diamond back 3-9 for your price range. its a good light weight and durable scope.
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:57 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, hkguy. I'll do some research on it.
"It is demonstrable that power structures tend to attract people who want power for the sake of power and that a significant proportion of such people are imbalanced — in a word, insane.” – Frank Herbert

11bravo

Postby 11bravo » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:55 pm

Nathan wrote:A magnified scope on an AK? Why, so you can clearly see what you missed? :D

Trying to get any notable accuracy out of an AK is like when you try to wipe and fist-bump a floater. In the end you're just frustrated and smell like shit. ;)

For an AR I wouldn't hesitate to spend $1,500+ on an optic (my personal battle-rifle wears an ACOG), but on an AK I couldn't imagine doing much more than a throw-away grade red dot.

Now don't get the wrong idea; I'm not hatin' on AKs. I own at least a half dozen and I appreciate their strengths while accepting their limitations. I do believe the 7.62x39 to be the ideal combat caliber, bar none. If they ever figure out how to feed them reliable in the AR platform I'll switch over in a heartbeat. If I knew my combat zone was limited to <100 yards I'd likely grab my AK over my AR...but because I do keep my expectations real I just can't imagine investing much into a scope for an AK.

Sorry for derailing, but Nate why not give the 300 blackout a go? Ammo is pricey but they work and was designed to solve the problem of AR's in 7.62x39 not feeding well.

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:03 pm

11bravo wrote:
Nathan wrote:A magnified scope on an AK? Why, so you can clearly see what you missed? :D

Sorry for derailing, but Nate why not give the 300 blackout a go? Ammo is pricey but they work and was designed to solve the problem of AR's in 7.62x39 not feeding well.

as was the CMMG Mutant and Rock River LAR-47 - the problem is that they are still considerably more expensive than a quality AK.

https://www.cmmginc.com/product-categor ... s/7-62x39/

https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm ... ory_id=558
IDPA & USPSA Member

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:04 pm

A Vortex Crossfire II 3-9 with illuminated reticle seems like it may be what I am looking for - does anyone have any experience with this model?

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:55 am

Hand and Steel wrote:A Vortex Crossfire II 3-9 with illuminated reticle seems like it may be what I am looking for - does anyone have any experience with this model?

I love my 4-12x50AO that i have on my savage MKII, my only complaint about the crossfire is that it is a heavy scope compared to the diamondback.
IDPA & USPSA Member

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:13 am

Well I got my hands on the Crossfire II and I'm quite impressed with the quality for what I paid for it. Now I just have to stomach the nearly $200 for the Chaos USA rail system to get it on my rifle. :o

Return to “Optics & Sights”