Opinel.

Knife, axe and edged tool discussions.
riadat

Opinel.

Postby riadat » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:20 am

I don't see any posts in this forum so I wanted to talk about the knife I carry in my pocket. It is a number 8 carbon Opinel knife.

If you want a sharp knife that is pretty rugged, holds an edge, and is very light and very cheap you can't go wrong with an Opinel.

They also make a stainless version with sandvik steel which holds an edge well.

I prefer the carbon blade because it is super easy to sharpen. I have some crock sticks in one of those little 10 dollar lansky boxes. I put the sticks on 20 degrees and run the opinel up and down a few times and the knife becomes like surgically sharp. If you ever lose the edge and it won't come back you can use sandpaper and a mousepad to get it back if you screw up the geometry and then go back to the 20 degree crock sticks.

I carved on my knife a bit to make it easier to grab the blade and oiled the wood to darken it. Then you can put a patina on the blade using vinegar or something to help out with rust.

I have had quite a few of these and sometimes from the factory you need to adjust them a bit. You can pop the lock ring off with a pair of needle nose pliers or a small screw driver. You may have to tweak the ring by spreading it. You can loosen the knife or tighten it by adjusting the ring and by use and. I oil my blade with olive oil because I use it in food prep.

I have carried the number 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 before and overall my preference would be for the number 8.

Regardless, these aren't combat or tactical but they are light, the steel is very good, and they are cheap.

hkguy

Re: Opinel.

Postby hkguy » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:17 am

this has been my EDC knife for the past year

Benchmade 950 Rift

NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

robalo23

Postby robalo23 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:37 am

Benchmade Mel Pardue Design

riadat

Postby riadat » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:52 pm

Those are awesome knives and I would gladly carry either of them. If you want a super sharp knife that only costs 12 bucks, don't ignore the opinel.

I lost mine the other day and grabbed another one and carried it around. Then my daughter was digging around in the cushions throwing them on the floor. There was my missing knife in the couch.

I wasn't too worried about the opinel being lost but would have panicked if I lost a benchmade.

samuelrp

Postby samuelrp » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:37 pm

I think carbon is easier for the average joe to sharpen.
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

medic68

Postby medic68 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:40 am

The Opinel is a great knife. I literally know dozens of people who have one. While it may be relegated to garden work or bush crafting it is definitely a cost effective, quality piece of gear.

Another knife to consider might be the ubiquitous Douk Douk. They come in several sizes and can be found just about everywhere.
image.jpg
image.jpg (27.98 KiB) Viewed 3312 times

Not a pock knife by any means but the Mora is also a great choice for a utility knife. Super sharp but the Scandi grind can be a bitch to sharpen if you jack it up.
image.jpg
image.jpg (46.8 KiB) Viewed 3312 times
ImageImage

riadat

Postby riadat » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:10 pm

There is also the Svord and that okapi/kudu knife. Mora is a great knife.

nachodaddy

Postby nachodaddy » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:29 am

Can't go wrong with either choice that Charlie mentioned! Don't have a Douk Douk but I hear great things about them. I love my Moras!

the925life

Postby the925life » Wed May 06, 2015 3:08 pm

I'm a complete knife geek and Opinel, Mora, and Condor are probably the best value you will find in the cutlery world. Condor for a full tang workhorse, Mora for comfort and versatility, and Opinel for your pocket.

Eric_in_FL

Postby Eric_in_FL » Thu May 07, 2015 6:31 am

I've got one of those green Moraknivs. I pulled that thing out of the box years ago when I first got it, held an empty 2 liter bottle by the lid, stuck the knife straight through the middle of it and rotated the top around 360 and cut that 2 liter in half. Just twisting from the top with non-knife hand.

Love that thing. For 14 bucks? Love it even more.

Return to “Cutlery”