Racking the Slide

What method do you most commonly use to rack the slide?

Old style / with the hand mostly behind the gun / gripping the slide between the pad of the thumb and side of the index finger
56%
New style / with the hand over top the slide / gripping the slide between the heel of the hand and the pads of all the fingers
33%
Use both equally
11%

Total votes: 9

Hand and Steel

Racking the Slide

Postby Hand and Steel » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:47 pm

I've never found a reason to abandon the "old way" of racking the slide - that is, gripping the cocking serrations between the thumb and the side of the index finger and using a pushing motion of the frame against the slide. It has always been more natural and feels much stronger to me than the overhand method. I sometimes use an overhand method when I am manually locking the slide to the rear or disassembling a gun, but even then, I'm still gripping the serrations between the pad of the thumb and the side of the index finger, instead of the way that has become more common with all the fingers touching the slide.

So what are the preferences here? What is the reason you prefer one over the other? Why the shift from the old way to the way that is more common now? Is it just the sodium fluoride in the water, or is there a good reason for this?
"It is demonstrable that power structures tend to attract people who want power for the sake of power and that a significant proportion of such people are imbalanced — in a word, insane.” – Frank Herbert

"Welcome to Costco. I love you."

samuelrp

Re: Racking the Slide

Postby samuelrp » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:50 pm

I was taught the new way, and do the same every time. Thought the old way was well........the old way, lol
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:01 pm

it mostly depends on the gun and what i am doing. i will use the "old" method to lock the slide back on an empty chamber. I typically use the "new" method when checking to see if a pistol is loaded. to me, there is less vision obstruction when using the "new" method. I find that i use the old method more frequently when shooting my full size firearms when compared to either my G43 or LCP.
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:35 pm

It depends; if I'm ejecting a live round, I use the thumb/finger method to facilitate cartridge clearance. If I'm loading the chamber, I utilize the over hand method.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

yankeejib

Postby yankeejib » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:23 am

This post did make me unload, which is rare, and just see what was my natural motion. I find that I over hand when the goal is simply to get one in the chamber, which is rare, because there's always one in the chamber, but I underhand with the gun upside down when I want to catch the round in the chamber when I rack to unload. I dunno. I realize how many times I never rack. I shoot to empty, then just use the slide release on a fresh mag (and then drop the mag to add one more :)).
Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

Return to “CCW Tech”