Carrying a Cane

Overcoming limitations due to age, handicap, etc.
SgtDon

Carrying a Cane

Postby SgtDon » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:52 pm

I'm a 100% Disabled Vietnam Veteran and walk with a cane. I can actually walk very well without the cane. But I pay for it in pain at night if I don't use the cane.

Anyway, I see my cane as a first line non leathal weapon, before going to a gun.

Actually I'm just trying to stur up some interest on this topic. I'd like to hear from other hanicappable members on how you make concealed carry work. Being disabled doesn't have to affect your ability to protect yourself and others.

My injured, disfigured hand had a lot of influence on my selection of weapon and caliber choice.

Sgt Don
Sgt Don

MisterB

Re: Carrying a Cane

Postby MisterB » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:32 pm

Sorry to hear about your disability, but I respect the hell out of how you got to be that way.

Honestly, I worry about you going to the cane first as a weapon. At your age and condition, it seems like you could hurt yourself more than anything. I'm not one that believes in the notion that if one draws their firearm on someone, they are therefore required to pull the trigger. The best scenario (assuming the situation justifies the use of force to protect yourself) is that drawing your firearm causes the threat to stop without shots being fired. Be prepared (and I'm sure as a combat veteran, you are more than qualified) to pull the trigger if need be.

Pickwick

Postby Pickwick » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:56 pm

In today's world, if you are confronted seriously enough to need to defend yourself, you need a pistol. I've been in the Japanese martial arts for 40 years and I would never even consider karate as a first line of self-defense. I carry everywhere and would go to the pistol if I felt threatened. Karate is for unforeseen surprise situations (until I can get to the pistol) or dealing with drunks and stupid people without seriously hurting them. My students once asked me, "With all your karate and ju jutsu, why do you carry a gun?" I replied, "Because I do not want to be the guy with the best front kick at the shoot out."

MisterB

Postby MisterB » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:01 pm

Pickwick wrote:In today's world, if you are confronted seriously enough to need to defend yourself, you need a pistol. I've been in the Japanese martial arts for 40 years and I would never even consider karate as a first line of self-defense. I carry everywhere and would go to the pistol if I felt threatened. Karate is for unforeseen surprise situations (until I can get to the pistol) or dealing with drunks and stupid people without seriously hurting them. My students once asked me, "With all your karate and ju jutsu, why do you carry a gun?" I replied, "Because I do not want to be the guy with the best front kick at the shoot out."

Wise man. Reminds me of this scene
Indiana Jones - Arab Swordsman Scene:

ridurall

Postby ridurall » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:14 pm

Several years ago when my parents lived in Arizona I purchased my father a sword cane and sharpened it up like a razor. Later when I talked them into moving to OKlahoma I purchased Dad a Cold Steel Irish Blackthorn Walking Stick. Now that is a cane that you could whoop your way through a whole crowd of undesirable low life thugs. Dad passed away on May 3rd 2013 and I don't ever think I'll not regret that Dad and I never got to stand back to back and fight our way out of someplace together. I don't know why I had a hankering for that but it seemed like something a father & son should do. :oops: More than once we spoke of it and he had the same thoughts on the subject. Anyone in a position where he can't carry a concealed gun should carry a cane or some kind of thwacking stick you can count on. B(

Pickwick

Postby Pickwick » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:32 pm

MisterB wrote:
Pickwick wrote:In today's world, if you are confronted seriously enough to need to defend yourself, you need a pistol. I've been in the Japanese martial arts for 40 years and I would never even consider karate as a first line of self-defense. I carry everywhere and would go to the pistol if I felt threatened. Karate is for unforeseen surprise situations (until I can get to the pistol) or dealing with drunks and stupid people without seriously hurting them. My students once asked me, "With all your karate and ju jutsu, why do you carry a gun?" I replied, "Because I do not want to be the guy with the best front kick at the shoot out."

Wise man. Reminds me of this scene
Indiana Jones - Arab Swordsman Scene:

I love that scene! One of my favorites. :D

SgtDon

Postby SgtDon » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:41 pm

I believe there are a lot of situations that don't require the display or use of deadly force.

Sorry everyone keyed in on the cane comment. What I wanted to do was start a conversation around disabilities and self defense.

In my case I had my M-16 blow up in my shooting hand. It was broken in 22 places. I have a totally useless pinky finger it just sort of just there. I also have artificial joints. I have good function and reasonable strength due to a rigorous exercise plan.

My point is I didn't have to give up on guns, just choose wisely. I fired several guns and decided that the 9mm suits me best. I have good control and handle the recoil well. Next I looked at fit and feel, the M&P Shield feels good in my hand.

My point is don't count youself out if your injured or have limitations.

Sgt Don
Sgt Don

riadat

Postby riadat » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:50 pm

The problem with the scenario that doesn't require deadly force is just how fast that can change. In one instant someone can pull a knife out and stab you, particularly if you are in grappling distance.

Had a friend who was young and dumb and went to my youth group back when i was a youth director. One day he and some guy on the street get into one of those young guy testosterone moments and one thing led to another and they got into a fight. My young friend was by all accounts kicking the other guys butt when he suddenly sprouted a knife from his back.

I have rotor cuff tear in one my shoulders that I just sort of live with. I'm also 30 pounds overweight and sedentary. I lack confidence in my ability to win vs an 18 year old athlete, let alone one who may have a knife.

As to the handicap carry thing, I am recoil sensitive and thus carry a .38 instead of a .357. If I get older and need to adjust what I carry I will do so.

As to the cane itself? If it is in your hand and you are attacked, by all means smack someone with it. I was in the S.C.A. for a couple years and trained with the rattan swords while wearing armor and using a shield. That is actually a martial art, if you don't believe it ask to spar with a knight from the SCA sometime. A hard wood stick is no joke as a weapon.

Thanks for your service!

ridurall

Postby ridurall » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:08 pm

Speaking of swords I've owned a fare amount for several years. An Del Tin Dutch Arming 13th century arming sword, A 17th Century Spanish rapier, an Angus Trim/Christian Fletcher 1548
Cut and Thrust, a Cold Steel Katana of no special note, a Zatoichi walking stick/katana and the one that started my interest in swords a true Japanese 1934 patterned Katana with the blade made much earlier from the old Tamahagane "river iron" that the old steel makers made one batch at a time using willow charcoal to infuse carbon into the iron thereby making steel and allowing them to manufacture different qualities of steel so they could build differentially hardened steel Katanas with the Hamon or Martinized steel cutting edge of very hard steel supported by a softer more springy steel behind it so it wouldn't break. I am fully zombi ready. Image
pic upload

ridurall

Postby ridurall » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:14 pm

By the way none of the steel in those swords is of low quality and all are razor sharp ready for use. They are all using swords and none are those cheap fake tanged swords that might fall apart when you first try to swing it.

MisterB

Postby MisterB » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:33 pm

ridurall wrote:Speaking of swords I've owned a fare amount for several years. An Del Tin Dutch Arming 13th century arming sword, A 17th Century Spanish rapier, an Angus Trim/Christian Fletcher 1548
Cut and Thrust, a Cold Steel Katana of no special note, a Zatoichi walking stick/katana and the one that started my interest in swords a true Japanese 1934 patterned Katana with the blade made much earlier from the old Tamahagane "river iron" that the old steel makers made one batch at a time using willow charcoal to infuse carbon into the iron thereby making steel and allowing them to manufacture different qualities of steel so they could build differentially hardened steel Katanas with the Hamon or Martinized steel cutting edge of very hard steel supported by a softer more springy steel behind it so it wouldn't break. I am fully zombi ready. Image
pic upload

I like your WWII sword (second from the left). I have one that my grandpa brought back from the war, and I inherited. I also have an Arisaka type 38 carbine with mum in tact and bayonette he brought back. With the steel yours is made from, isn't it valued in the tens of thousands of dollars?

ridurall

Postby ridurall » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:34 pm

I've been offered $2000 cash at a gun show from a guy touting his gunto with what looks like some kind of Japanese crest on it as a "National Treasure" that the Japanese government wanted back. While I'm not anywhere near an expert on Japanese swords but I know enough to tell when a bullshit artist is trying to sell me a Chinese copy. However I figure if a bullshitter is offering me $2000 for my sword then is must be worth more than that. There a problem in that when I take the Tsuba (grip) off there is only one Mekugi (peg) hole in the Nakago (tang) and there are no signature stampings. Most of the time when older blades were redressed with war time accoutrements (the 1934 Pattern Tsuba and Saya they drilled new holes. The Image
image upload free The 1934 Pattern Gunto came from a customer where I found it in their storm shelter and asked her about it. She said her father brought it back from the war. About 3 years later she contacted me because they had a bad case of fleas and wanted credit for it and asked her how much she wanted and if I remember correctly she asked for $325 or $350 credit. I gladly gave it to her and have no intention of ever selling it.

Pickwick

Postby Pickwick » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:39 am

I have several Japanese swords and have studied iaido for a long time. Be aware that many old, quality swords were unsigned. Many are very difficult to appraise, and signatures have been faked, but you can usually tell. A deeper curve (sori) in the blade than usual is one indication of a very old sword, also a longer tang, certain kinds of file marks on the tang, and very black patina of rust on the tang…which can also be faked.

ridurall

Postby ridurall » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:19 am

Pickwick wrote:I have several Japanese swords and have studied iaido for a long time. Be aware that many old, quality swords were unsigned. Many are very difficult to appraise, and signatures have been faked, but you can usually tell. A deeper curve (sori) in the blade than usual is one indication of a very old sword, also a longer tang, certain kinds of file marks on the tang, and very black patina of rust on the tang…which can also be faked.

'
The amount of Chinese copies out there and my lack of experience prompted my getting away from trying to purchase anymore real Katanas. This one I really lucked into and have no plans on getting rid of it. I do figure it was an older blade that was later wrapped with the 1934 Pattern gunto equipment. Some day I would like to have it appraised by an expert.

riadat

Postby riadat » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:42 pm

Nice collection!

ridurall

Postby ridurall » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:38 pm

Thanks riadat, Not only am I proud of the swords but I've got a hunting knife my father made from a file before I was born and a Sheffield Steel dagger that Dad carried all during WWII. It was lost for 50 years because Dad had Mom hide it from him after the war so he couldn't wake up and get his hands on it. So it was lost in her cedar chest for all those years until they moved to Arizona and sold their excess stuff. Those two knives are smack in the middle of the picture side by side.

Tye

Postby Tye » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:32 pm

Please be aware that in addition to a potential weapon for you, a cane is also a tell to the bad guy that perhaps there may be an easy oppotunity. More than likely a cane (or a pronounnced limp, etc,) could increase the likliness of a confrontation with an opportunist.

I must admit, however I love to read about the would-be thug being beat senseless (preferably with permament disabilities of his own) by a weak, defenseless, a-hem cripple!
Best regards,

Tye

Smurf

Postby Smurf » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:52 am

SgtDon wrote:I believe there are a lot of situations that don't require the display or use of deadly force.

Sorry everyone keyed in on the cane comment. What I wanted to do was start a conversation around disabilities and self defense.

In my case I had my M-16 blow up in my shooting hand. It was broken in 22 places. I have a totally useless pinky finger it just sort of just there. I also have artificial joints. I have good function and reasonable strength due to a rigorous exercise plan.

My point is I didn't have to give up on guns, just choose wisely. I fired several guns and decided that the 9mm suits me best. I have good control and handle the recoil well. Next I looked at fit and feel, the M&P Shield feels good in my hand.

My point is don't count youself out if your injured or have limitations.

Sgt Don

You are right.

I was in an industrial accident 20 yrs ago and lost ring and pinkie finger on my right hand and almost my left hand. I have plates and screws in my left hand . I had a scissor lift fall while I was removing the hydraulic pump from it. Someone accidentally knocked the prop out. i can shoot any pistol in my right hand up to a Desert Eagle 44 mag. The only prblem I have is my left won't make a closed fist so I have a little truble there in some things. If there's a will, there's a way.
I was told to go on disability but I wanted to work if possible. I was self-employed as a Master Electrician and I hold a Master's license in HVAC. So I slowly made it back into business for another14 yrs until I retired.

riadat

Postby riadat » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:10 pm

I knew a guy who taught martial arts forever. Literally like 50 years here in wichita. I saw him working as an unarmed rent a cop job awhile back in a grocery store. He just looks like a fat middle aged guy with a 50's hairstyle. It was cool to know something the average guy wouldn't know as well as a potential trouble maker. That guy is flat out dangerous and he doesn't look like much but is the real deal. So many people like that.

I used to play pool for money as a kid and I was in a tournement with some guy and he was running his mouth and i was running it right back at him. Later on I found out the guy i was running my mouth too was a former pro boxer.

Bottom line is, I just assume everyone can either kick my ass or has a gun or both.

BULLDOG

Postby BULLDOG » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:46 pm

Nice collection Ron. I have & love Cold Steel's products also.? shame here in liberal NYS.? We canno't own any Sward Canes,? Throwing Stars,? NunChucks,? etc.

vonBuck

Postby vonBuck » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:30 pm

Well I'm disabled, lost a leg about 10 years ago. That's what got me into shooting. The first time I was all alone, I realized how defenseless I was. I use a cane and carry a gun
I have a Cold Steel sword cane but it's too clunky. I found a person who makes really nice ones with several different blade lengths, so when I get the money I'll probably order one. So for now, I just have a plain old one.

With help from an I instructor, I've been practicing using both. The stick to maintain some distance, while I draw my gun

Return to “Handicapable Carry Tech”