Uberti 1860 Henry Rifle: Owning a piece of history

Long gun discussions.
Ohio9

Uberti 1860 Henry Rifle: Owning a piece of history

Post by Ohio9 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:00 pm

Well after years of putting it off, I've finally gotten the gun of my desire. Thor's Hammer of the Civil War. The rifle that could turn the most basic poorly trained Union private into unstoppable harbinger of death. A modern reproduction of the legendary 1860 Henry, the world's first practical military repeating rifle

Ever since I first found out this rifle existed, I was awed by it. That a repeating rifle actually existed in a war dominated by muzzle loaders was absolutely shocking. Just imagining the insane power this would give to a rank and file soldier who was lucky enough to get his hands on this made me want it instantly. Well it took years of saving up and 1,400 dollars, making this the most expensive gun I've ever bought. But now I finally have what the Confederates called That damn Yankee rifle you could load on Sunday and keep shooting till the end of the week.

The one I've got is an Uberti .45 Long Colt, which holds 13 rounds in the tube. 3 less than the original capacity of 16 rounds the original had in .44 rimfire. While not a big deal since I don't intend to use this for anything other then an occasional trip to the range, I got it almost entirely for the nostalgia value so I would have liked to have the original capacity for that reason alone.

I just picked it up today so I haven't taken it to the range yet. Initial impressions based just on appearance are pretty much what I thought of it. I found the magazine tube to be a bit of a pain to open up. It takes some effort