S&W Governor

Discussions about handguns not suitable for carry.
Nathan
Site Admin

S&W Governor

Post by Nathan » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:23 am

IMG_20190609_151854636~2.jpg
I find no pleasure in killing anything, except for mice. I have an absolute zero tolerance policy for mice, and when I find the occasional one in my cabin I hunt it down with extreme prejudice and haven't missed one yet. The mice are coming into my pasture to steal the corn from the deer and elk, and then snakes are coming in for the mice. And they're nesting in my equipment shed. So I bought an S&W Governor, which is a .410 shotgun revolver, with high hopes of being a hands on solution to both my mouse and snake problem. I've always looked at these things as novelties with no real purpose, but I've also never tried to become a serial mouse-killer before. It took a bit of experimentation, but for mice/snakes, this thing is the real deal! While mowing today, I got sixteen field mice, all shot from the tractor seat while moving. From 15'-20' away with #7.5 shot, you can't miss (much further from that and the spread is too wide for guaranteed effectiveness). So for today, I'll walk around with my chest puffed out calling myself the Mouse Slayer. 🤠
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nathan in Image

Ohio9

Re: S&W Governor

Post by Ohio9 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:02 pm

I gotta say I've found mice to generally be too fast for any firearm. The ones I've encountered tend to head for the hills (or the nearest hole in the wall) the moment I make any type of motion in their presence. I've found glue traps to be my only defense against them.

Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Nathan » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:20 pm

I had no trouble nailing mice, even while scurrying under the grass. 15'-20' away, #7.5 shot gives you about a 3' kill zone where anything inside of that circle is getting hit. If you can shoot within 3' of the mouse, you'll hit him.
Nathan in Image

lazyh

Post by lazyh » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:44 am

I've had a Taurus Judge for about 10 years. It works well on snakes. I keep it by my door in case someone comes knocking after dark. I keep it loaded with Winchester three inch PDX loads. They contain five copper discs and sixteen BB's. Should be adequate at very short range.