Rangefinder recommendations?

Optics, sights, and all sighting specific issues.
Nathan
Site Admin

Rangefinder recommendations?

Postby Nathan » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:03 pm

I want to set up rifle ranges at the ranch and am seeking recommendations on rangefinders. Is THIS ONE worth having, or is 600 yards enough?
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

MisterB

Re: Rangefinder recommendations?

Postby MisterB » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:21 pm

Looks decent, and the reviews are good. 600 yards= 1,800 feet. Do you really need more distance than that, given the trees and hills on your property?

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:48 am

I'm setting up a range literally from one mountain to the next one over so that when I'm hunting in wide open spaces that I'll have the range set properly in my scope. The reviews on that one say that to get an accurate range over 300 yards, you have to be spotting something the size of a house. I'm new to range finders. I was literally measuring string that I was going to tie to an arrow to shoot over obstacles to determine distance, but then it hit me to just get a range finder. So I'm new to all this and just not really sure yet what features are even important.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:07 pm

range finders are like glass, you definitely get what you pay for. personally, i am a huge fan of vortex and would recommend their range finders over the bushnell.
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

11bravo

Postby 11bravo » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:33 pm

I have that one. It works ok as long as you have a clear line of sight. Small branches and leafs give it fits. It does ok past 300 as long as you have a reflective object to range, trees, animals ect good luck getting it to range those past 300.

Tye

Postby Tye » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:12 am

Didn't see that it had the built in inclinometer for calculating horizontal distance, in addition to point to point. Usually, horizontal is what counts for trajectory except for the longer time in flight at steep angles.

Another feature I like in my rangefinder is the ability to continously update the measurement (scan mode) as you move it to help discriminate your desired target distance from nearly invisible branches, terrain breaks, etc.

The wife bought me a Leupold that is much nicer than my old bushnell, including optical clarity through the view finder. It helps to see the target you're lazing. Mine also helps to measure timber height on the stump to help calculate board feet, but likely not needed in your application.
Best regards,

Tye

Return to “Optics & Sights”