Against a knife

Proper response to hypothetical scenarios.
Ohio9

Against a knife

Postby Ohio9 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:28 pm

Interesting video here of a CCW holder with a drawn gun on a knife-wielding maniac who just stabbed a woman (who died later) and is begging the guy with the gun to shoot him. The CCW holder just keeps backing up. Not sure that's the best thing to do, but at least he keeps good distance so the guy can't charge him without being shot.

Eventually the police show up and subdue the guy with a taser. I like how the armed citizen puts his gun down the moment the squad cars show up so there is no misunderstanding.

This video provides a lot of insight as to what to do when dealing with a knife wielding person who just stabbed someone, but isn't in the process of attacking when you draw.

Nathan
Site Admin

Re: Against a knife

Postby Nathan » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:43 am

I'm conflicted in how to respond. On the one hand I hate to be "that guy" who points out everything he did wrong. On the other hand, I'm not familiar with the laws in Seattle but I don't want anyone to repeat the mistakes. While it messes up the leftist narrative about gun-wielding cowboys, the line justifying lethal defense was crossed when he stabbed the lady and was crossed again every step he took approaching with a knife in his hand. Clearly a legal argument for justifying potentially lethal response has been made. Then you get into the question of if you should on a moral level and I'll answer this with a yes. Every step you take backward running from this guy you risk tripping and falling and by the time you get your orientation back, he's on top of you stabbing you. If he wasn't prepared to shoot, I think he should have stayed out of it entirely. Maybe he was trying to draw the guy's attention to keep him from stabbing anyone else. You know what else would have kept him from stabbing anyone else without putting himself at such great risk? A couple hollow points to the chest.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:40 pm

I don't think anyone would dispute he had the legal grounds to shoot the guy, but that doesn't mean doing so is required. To his credit, the CCW guy kept good distance and it didn't look like there was any time the guy could have charged without being shot before he got into stabbing range. That being said, I do agree with your point about backing up. It's a huge risk, especially to be doing it for that long. Under those circumstances I probably would have shot the guy before the cops arrived, but as is always the caveat, no one can really be sure until you are put into that situation.

One thing to take into consideration is whether or not there was a crowd of people behind the knife guy. The camera only showed about 20 feet behind him. It's possible there were people behind him farther back. Sadly people can't always be trusted to clear out of the way in a situation like that. You can tell by the guy with the pepper spray. Sure he was brave, but crossing in front of the guy with a drawn gun to spray the dude clearly wasn't a great idea.

Once again, to the CCW holder's credit, you can see him lowering his gun to the "low ready" stance when the guy with the pepper spray moves in.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:48 pm

Pepper spray guy is another issue entirely and I failed to address it. Never put yourself between a gunman and his potential threat. To clarify my position, I'm not criticizing the gunman for his decisions as they were his to make. I'm only pointing out that from a tactical standpoint, he endangered himself by continuing to walk backwards. But perhaps I'm projecting my own limitations here; I couldn't walk forward that long without tripping. :D
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

LWP

Postby LWP » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:19 pm

It looks like he was clear behind so he wouldn't trip, and quick glances behind would show him that. I think the decision not to shoot was good for him and his family because it kept him out of the legal system, and the bad guy was prevented from doing further harm.

Return to “Defensive Scenarios”