Underwood Extreme Penetrator

Commercial defense and target ammunition.
Tye

Underwood Extreme Penetrator

Postby Tye » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:46 pm

Hello, Nate and friends!

I've always subscribed to 147gr for 9mm defense rounds, in particular Federal HST from the heavy is better camp. Sceptical, Ive now seen a few tests in gelatin, pork ribs, denim, etc. For Underwood solids, but light weight SD ammo where I'm thinking it might not be a gimmick after all.

Thoughts?

Will this Extreme Penetrator take .380 Auto to the realm of effectiveness for SD. Please no, "I wouldn't wqnt to get shot by a pellet gun", etc . comments. .
Best regards,

Tye

yankeejib

Re: Underwood Extreme Penetrator

Postby yankeejib » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:47 am

Even though Newton's 2nd law (force = mass X acceleration), doesn't necessarily correlate to stopping power, it is kind of fun to extrapolate numbers on different weights and velocities to compare apples and orangutans. This calculator includes grains and ft/sec/sq. http://www.endmemo.com/physics/force.php
Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

Nathan
Site Admin

Re: Underwood Extreme Penetrator

Postby Nathan » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:05 pm

Tye wrote:Ive now seen a few tests in gelatin, pork ribs, denim, etc. For Underwood solids, but light weight SD ammo where I'm thinking it might not be a gimmick after all.
I'm curious who performed these tests? Note that you have gelatin and then you have FBI Standard gelatin. Gelatin is easily manipulated to promote whatever conclusion you want to reach. Want to show more penetration? Dilute the mix more and shoot it in warmer temperatures. Want to decrease penetration? Use less water and shoot it in colder temperatures. This is why the only gelatin results that are acceptable meet the FBI Standard standards. The ratios must be perfect, and the testing must be performed at 32F degrees.
Stick with your 147 grain 9mm. If a .380 load ever evolves to the point of penetrating to a minimum of 12" in FBI Standard gelatin, it will be industry-wide news.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Return to “Commercial Ammunition”